Can't update Cubase: bought update code on ebay, USB key now disabled

I bought Cubase 9 via Ebay. The account of the seller is still active. But as for the update, I bought it via Asknet. Anyway, I have asked you to give me the Steinberg customer care email. They will confirm if mine was also from unauthorized seller. Otherwise let me open a dispute and claim for a refund.

Osotwa, this isn’t a customer service website, no one here can let you, or stop you from opening a claim. The regular way of getting support is through the local distributor if you live in a country that SB/Yamaha doesn’t support directly. See Become a Steinberg Reseller | Steinberg

Do you have a mysteinberg account, and is the USB key in question registered there? If it’s not, try to register it, and you might be able to see if it’s been disabled.

Martin- I see what your saying. Do you know if the Elc shows a warning when a usb key has been disabled?

The same here, can’t update from 9 to 9.5, getting “eLicenser disabled” message, but no signs it’s disabled, please see screenshots.
Didn’t have any issue before, had updates from 8 → 8.5 → 9
Latest eLCC, reinstalling everything didn’t help.
Funny “Request support” button leads nowhere.

Submitted ticket to asknet, any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Anton

Hello, I am also getting same error.

" At least one of the eLicensers used during this process was disabled and cannot be used for any license transactions. Please contact your software vendor to solve this issue."

Did you guys find any answer ?

PS : Also getting same error on third party license activation.

Thanks

Swapnil

Did you get it significantly cheaper than retail from eBay?

Hello, Grim I do had bought it from eBay, but that seller looks genuine. His account is still active and Cubase is working fine but I am not able to use elicenser :frowning:

Was it this seller?

The Cubase licenses sold by mr_shiverz were acquired through fraud and will cause your eLicenser to be deactivated. DO NOT BUY FROM HIM.

The scammers account apparently is still active and the others who bought from him had the same issue where Cubase 9 was activated and working. Only when updating do you find the elicenser is disabled.
I think his name on eBay was Mrshiverz.
Assuming you have the exact same error then I don’t think you can do much except to contact Steinberg and ask why your elicenser is disabled.

It’s a pretty unique scam, because the buyers think all is good until they try to update. By then it’s too late to leave negative feedback for him, which would inform other users.

It’s also not that great of a deal. $300 is his price, which doesn’t include a usb key. So add 35USD.

However, anyone who has bought from him can do an ebay search for his contact info eBay Search: Advanced Search and post it here. Who knows what an enterprising internet sleuth would be able to do with that? :wink: :smiling_imp:

Also, doesn’t anyone see the red flags in his feedback feed? Feedback Profile

Yes I had bought from mr_shiverz in march this year. But whats will happen to my cubase ? will I never be able to upgrade it to future versions ?

You should contact Steinberg support directly to receive an official answer. Sorry but you probably wont be able to upgrade at all without buying another copy from a legitimate seller.

I hope that they can update. There is no way to know, so to me the buyer is innocent, the seller is malicious if he knows the codes are illegal, but we don’t even know how he got them. So Steinberg, have mercy!!!

Hi,

Steinberg is innocent too from my point of view. If someone sells you a crack version and you cannot upgrade because of this, it’s not Steinberg fault. The same is if someone sells you other way incorrect or damaged license.

AFAIUI it not cracked but an illegally obtained (by the seller) valid code. It licenses the dongle, which is controlled by synchrosoft/Steinberg.
If this is a real problem for Steinberg, they should offer a way to check. But hey that is just me. Even if Steinberg missed income they will now get it with the updates.

Has anyone who had this problem and talked to SB support about it come back here to say what the outcome was?

This guy is STILL selling these on ebay it’s very confusing as he has loads of positive feedback cant anything be done by steinberg ???

Did you (as a buyer) write a public feedback to him, please?

Not sure Bigmalh64 was a customer of the scammer, but anyhow, by the time the buyer tries to update the license to a new version the purchase is completed months ago, the software was activated successfully in elicenser and so the buyer will have left positive feedback.
There is no option to go back months later and change your feedback or add to it.

This is why I never buy software from Ebay. Anytime I update or upgrade a DAW, I do it exclusively through their website, and I’ve never had an issue like this. I wish you guys the best of luck.