Casio CZ 1000 in Cubase 10?

Hi,
I have the chance to make a trade with a Casio CZ-1000.
But is there a chance that i can use this old numeric synth from the 80’s as
master & as slave (controller) in Cubase pro 10 ?
Thanks
Daniel

If the synth has midi input and output ports you can control Cubase with it, and Cubase will send midi to it.

You need a midi interface and an audio interface (many audio interfaces include midi ports), and of course you will have to connect the audio out(s) of the synth to the inputs of the audio interface.

Should work.

Yes, there is a midi in/midi out … thanks … i have to wait to see if someone have experimented the Casio CZ-1000 !

I have a CZ-1000 and like all MIDI instruments it works fine with Cubase but as a controller its MIDI functions are limited. What is it you want to do with it?

I think i do not understand correctly the utility of controller … i mean, i need to use the CZ as slave or master !
As slave to use vst sounds in cubase with Omnisphere … is there limitations ?
As master to record the sounds of the CZ in cubase … is there limitations ?

If you connect up the CZ-1000 using a MIDI interface you’ll be able to play any VSTi as well as record the MIDI from the CZ-1000 to a Cubase track. In this way it works as a “master keyboard”. It does not have buttons to control playback etc. (“transport controls”), so in that sense it is limited as a controller.

To record the audio from the CZ-1000 you need to connect the audio output of the CZ-1000 to the audio input of an audio interface (“soundcard”).

To record the audio from the CZ-1000 you need to connect the audio output of the CZ-1000 to the audio input of an audio interface (“soundcard”)
I understand that cubase just record the midi data only & this from the vst instrument or a keyboard…the sound color will come from the vst/keyboard.
About the audio & to record the sound of the CZ 1000 as audio, this was not my question but it’s good to hear that !..
Thank you

If you don’t need to record audio from the CZ you can opt for a MIDI only USB interface which costs less than a MIDI and audio interface.

Finally, unless you’re specifically into 80’s hardware synths, I can strongly recommmend Oli Larkin’s excellent VirtualCZ. I was able to tranfer patches I had made on the original and recorded on paper (in the “Sound Data Handbook”) into this VSTi and reproduce the sounds precisely.

On the other hand, the hardware CZ-1000 is a lot of fun to program manually – just remember to do a reset when you fit the batteries, otherwise the pitch will be off! (the procedure is in the CZ-1000 manual).