Catalina + Cubase 10/10.5 = bollocks

I’m American, so “bollocks” has an especially nice ring to it to me.

I use a complex template. It used to load perfectly in 10 and 10.5 on Mojave.
Got a new Macbook with Catalina on it. I wanted the extra power.
I trashed preferences in both versions of these programs, and that template doesn’t load.

I’m a tech by day, I know how to troubleshoot and eliminate variables, and I’ve done this.
Something is amiss and I was thinking it was 10.5 just not ready for primetime, but the problem also occurs in version 10.

I’d be willing to work with Steinberg to get this issue diagnosed and banged out, but it just seems like I’m spitting into the wind in these forums.

Anyway, I’m not leaving Steinberg, I’m leaving Catalina. Dumping her actually. Over text, even.

Do not upgrade to Catalina. Wait a year, or never. Save yourself the headache. Your soul will thank you. You have been warned.

I use Catalina and have no issues whatsoever Cubase is running flawlessly

Oh I’m sure there are success stories. Perhaps if you start from absolute scratch, and maybe have a more simple setup. Maybe there WAS an offending plug-in that just wasn’t working so well for me. I just couldn’t isolate it. There was no consistent issue I could find. Trying to rebuild my template from scratch didn’t work. Plugins would load fine, then I would save the project and try to reopen it and it wouldn’t open. Cubase just gone.

Again the very same problems didn’t exist on Mojave. On Catalina, Cubase 10 and 10.5 both exhibited the same behavior. So it must be that Cubase is not ready for Catalina. There has to be a way for Cubase to block the offending plugin, and there is - the blacklisting, but it didn’t do that in either version of Cubase. And I don’t have time to be their guinea pig and figure it out. I spent weeks building that template and getting my system to run smoothly on Mojave. I don’t need a new operating system year after year. Needless to say, I sent back the MacBook pro and I’ve ordered an old Mac Pro that I can upgrade to Mohave. I’ll try to report back.

That’s a pain I feel for you in that situation. I’ve been there in the past I know the frustration and the time spent. But touch wood everything working great here. Hope you manage to get things running again.

ugh, yea. Thank you. Hours of my life I want back. Fingers crossed.

My guess is your template is looking for the OLD prefs for I/O etc and can’t find them, who knows. Only Steinberg knows their logic as it is foreign to the rest of us

I’d agree but I started loading tracks from the template into a blank project, kept saving. No joy.

I just hope they’re paying attention and know how to figure this stuff out, because I sure can’t. It’s on them now.

Aloha guys,

Been out of the game for a few years now and just got a new laptop for xmas.

Before installing the latest Cubase and Halion Sonic 3 on it I thought to check in here 1st to see how things are working when using Catalina.

Sorry to read that shagazulu is having probs but it seems like with some other users, things are running smoothly.
Good to read that.

I plan on installing in the next few days so if anyone has any tips, tricks, insights etc it would be very helpful.

mahalo,
{‘-’}

What I think might happen is that you will start simple, without a template, things will run smoothly maybe for a month or more, then you’ll start getting more complex with your demands, and poof, Cubase will shut down.

Sorry so grim.

For me it’s about trust. I lost trust that the above scenario wouldn’t just keep happening, because it happened in 10 and 10.5. What would really help is if I felt like there was somewhere I could go to send my bug report and then get at least an estimated answer back from someone. But in the years I’ve been in this game, that has never happened, and if it were to, I imagine it would be a long, slow process. So again, I recommend you use Mojave. Don’t buy into Catalina or any software that hasn’t been out for 12 months already. Whatever offending plugin Cubase was opening, if that were EVEN the problem, it would open it just fine, act fine, but then the project wouldn’t reopen.

Yeah i have the same bullsh*t with Catalina…got the superduper new 16" macbook pro…installed a bunch of plugins from big companies like Fabfilter, Waves, iZoptope, NI etc etc

Now Cubase crashes all the bloody time, at least once per hour…its super buggy.

And this is a SUPER clean install…no other software, only Cubase 10.5 & Logic.

Ofcourse Logic is super stable and MUCH faster (more CPU resources) then Cubase, so i guess its obvious what the problem is.
Apple has all these in-house engineers who know exactly what is going on, and Steinberg is always behind the facts.
Hopefully Cubase 11 will resolve a lot of stability problems. I think Steinberg is working really hard to fix this.
And dont forget that a lot of software defs also have to update their software, so by the time its all done, Apple will come with a new OS, and the circle begins again.

blah…

Hi Guys, I’m a bit late to the party my invite must have been delayed due to the pandemic but it surely has arrived like it did for Shagazulu and wk1.
I work more on my pc set up than on the mac due to the home rig having more power but I don’t ever remember cubase being this hard to work with when I was using Mojave. It doesn’t matter where I load a session from, external HD or the HD in the mac the result is the same. Cache overloading and glitches in playback that can last 30 seconds +. I only upgraded to catlina as i was under the impression cubase or the waves 12 update wouldn’t work on mojave. I’ve checked the compatibility with cubase and catalina and they claimed it was all good to go ahead with the updates. But lo and behold I’ve been trying to mix a song for two days and can get a solid hour without any problems

I feel you. I ended up having serious trouble with Waves 12 in one project, specifically the CLA Mixhub, but I don’t think it was just isolated to that. Downgrading to version 11 fixed whatever problem it was. I went back and forth with Waves tech support. They were helpful. But it’s little bugs like this that just pop up at weird times, that take you off guard. The reason I started this thread was because even trying to isolate 3rd party plugins to see which one was causing the problem, if any were at all, didn’t help and it seemed to come down to just Cubase and Catalina. And again, the project would open and I could work, but then I would save it and couldn’t open it again. These sorts of problems sneak up on you. That’s why I think if you have a stable system, you just should never change it. Instead, buy or build something completely new if you’re interested in upgrading. Keep your stable system the way it is and don’t upgrade any plugins on it. Too much time is lost when you get yourself waist deep in complexities and 3rd party plugins and stuff.

I baffled by the fact you can’t reopen a pre-saved session as I don’t have that problem thank God. I have no explanation for this one bro. But I definitely agree its a cubase catalina issue as the audio drop outs is the reoccurring fact I keep seeing. Sent Stienberg a ticket in December last year and I’m still waiting on a response.
Just don’t know what to do here

That could be a driver issue with your sound card, and of course any number of things. Check your buffer settings, your AsioGuard settings, Open up Cubase in safe mode with no third-party plugins at all and with a virgin preferences folder. You may have already done all this of course. Limiting variables and isolating the problem is the only way to go about it.

The thing I did that made the biggest difference was plug an interface into the MacBook as I was seeing latency times of 1500ms with the highest buffer settings, which is needed when mixing . Using the interface in got a better latency time which improved the overall performance but it did not solve the problem as I still get audio drop outs.
Ill try safe made and get back to you. That might give me another boost in stability.