[CBT-2037] Crackling audio after conversion

Cracks happen in converted audio files when audio signal goes 0 dB. To reproduce you need to load any audio file which is not in 48 kHz WAV format and which has moments where it goes 0 dB, then agree to convert it. The resulting audio file should have cracks when it goes 0 dB. From my experience engine buffering and bit resolution settings don’t matter. Cubasis version is 3.1.1. Also I attached two test files in a zip archive (44.1 kHz WAV & MP3).
For testing purposes.zip (1.93 MB)

Hi Fomil,

To allow the team properly reproducing the issue, please let us know the exact steps (using our bug reporting form below).
Short description is absolutely fine.

Thanks again,
Lars

Bug Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
    (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
    (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
    (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
    (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
    (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

Okay. Here are the steps to reproduce the bug.

1. Unpack test files from opening post to Cubasis audio files folder, then create a new project.
  2. Import WAV test file and agree to convert it to 48 kHz. After conversion it will have cracks in places where the gain of test sinewave is 0 dB while it shouldn’t.
  3. Then mute this audio track and create another. Import MP3 test file to this new audio track. After automatic conversion to WAV 48 kHz it also will have cracks in the same places.
  4. You can go to this project’s Audio folder and play converted audio files not inside Cubasis. You should hear these cracks there too because it’s not a Cubasis playback bug.
    My smartphone model is Redmi K20 Pro with MIUI 12 based on Android 10, this bug also occured before updating from MIUI 11 to 12. Cubasis version is 3.1.1.

Hi Fomil,

Thanks for the additional message and detailed description.
The issue has been entered to our bugbase and shared with the team.

Best,
Lars