CC Lanes: Primary and Secondary dynamics (like Dorico?)

I’m new to Cubase, but have been using Dorico for a couple of years. One thing very handy in Dorico’s Expression Maps is the ability to control two dynamic lanes (like CC1 Modulation and CC11 Expression) simultaneously. They call it “Use Secondary Dynamic”. There is an additional benefit in being able to restrict the value range of each. My orchestral library (like many) uses these two lanes in tandem. Dorico understands this and has provided an elegant solution IMO.

Is there is a way to accomplish the same thing in Cubase? I’d like the curves I draw in the CC#1 lane to also control CC#11 lane automatically. I would also like to restrict the range. So, for example, if CC#1 has a value range of 1-127, the CC#11 range might be 32-90. But the curves would essentially match – without me having to copy-paste-edit between lanes.

Any ideas how to mimic that behavior in Cubase? Perhaps the MIDI send feature could pull this off? I’d love some pointers.

Hi,

You can use MIDI Insert > Transformer to do both of these.

To duplicate the CC1 over to CC11, the Transformer would look like this:

Filter Target
( Type Is | Equal | Controller | And
Value 1 (MIDI Controller Nr) | Equal | 1 )

Action Target
Value 1 | Set to fixed value | 11

Function
Insert

The other one, to restrict the range, you would use another Transformer:

Filter Target
( Type Is | Equal | Controller | And
Value 1 (MIDI Controller Nr) | Equal | 11 )

Action Target
Value 2 | Divide by | 2.2
Value 2 | Add | 32

Function
Transform

I hope, this will work for you.

SOLVED. It works beautifully! That’s a big time saver so thanks!

I tried adding an additional filter target for CC21 (vibrato). I want it to exhibit the same restricted behavior as CC11, but it seems like I need separate transformers for that additional controller lane. That means I’ve used up all 4 of my midi inserts for that track. Is there a way to control multiple CC lanes with one transformer? (When I added CC21 it seemed to disengage CC11.)

Hi,

Unfortunately there is not. You have to use multiple Transformers.

1 Like

I figured out that I could simply have CC21 follow CC11 directly without the extra value restricting transformer. So at least I only need 1 more. Not bad.

Another question: What is the difference between putting the transformer in as a MIDI insert vs. as a track input transformer (the orange arrow)?

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.43.21 PM

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 12.43.08 PM

I notice the latter has 4 “modules” vs the former that has 4 separate transformer slots. Can I use them both (for a total of 8) on one track?

Hi,

Input Transformer modifies the data coming from the input. To the track, the modified data are recorded. It doesn’t modify the data already recorded in the track.

MIDI Insert Transformer modifies already existing MIDI data in real time and it sends the modified data to the output. In the track, the original data remains.

Logical Editor modifies already existing data in the track as “offline”. The process is applied to the data, so the data in the track change.

2 Likes