CC11 does not effect volume

Hi everybody,

I have bought a MIDI-File that uses CC7 (Volume) for the general volume and CC11 (Expression) for fading etc.
I have imported the MIDI-File into Instrument Tracks. The tracks are mapped to the appropriate HalionOne program.
My problem is that the CC11 does not effect the volume, i.e. no fading happens. :frowning: What do I do wrong? Any help appreciated.

Andreas

My guess is that HALion ONE doesnā€™t repond to CC11 on the patch youā€™ve selected. Have you any other VSTis that you know respond to CC11 that you could test against? (import the MIDI file again but with the ā€œImport to Instrument Tracksā€ option turned off in preferences).

HALion ONE is a pretty basic player and has now been replaced by HALion Sonic SE in Cubase 6. Test against a decent hardware synth if you have one.

In the old days, every synth came with a ā€œMIDI Implementation Chartā€ which allowed you to see what it transmitted and what it received (responded to). Iā€™ve never seen a MIDI Implementation Chart with a soft-synth, which is a real shame and I reckon this contributes to a lot of problems out there today.

If there was a MIDI Implementation Chart for HALion ONE I bet weā€™d see a lot of stuff not implemented ā€¦ CC11 amongst other things. Pitchbend anyone? Aftertouch?

I think your guess is right. I imported the MIDI file into MIDI tracks. If I route the track to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth then it works. It does not work with routing neither to HALion ONE nor with HALion Player, I hear the sound but no fading.

That seems prove enough that the setting itself works and the VST instruments donā€™t respond to CC11.

That is some hope, but if HALion Player doesnā€™t do it ā€¦

I agree, it is a shame that there is no documentation of such basic properties. Why not???

Does anyone have an idea how to build a work-around? I thought of changing the CC11-Events (Expression) to CC7-Events (Volume). But there are also volume-events there, and the resulting volume of the expression is a kind of multiplication of the last volume event and the expression event (and vice versa). I do not know how to ā€œprogramā€ this in the Logical Editor (if possible at all).

Thanks for your help,
Andreas

Thereā€™s no workaround using HALion ONE in that case. Search for a free GM VSTi, perhaps a SoundFont player and a decent GM SoundFont. You might also be able to use or borrow a good-quality external GM sound module. Pretty much anything from Roland or Yamaha should do it. Can you contact the vendor of the MIDI file and ask for recommended soft synths?