CD Burn ' an error has occurred'

Hey folks,
Whenever i try to burn from my macbook pro to my external LG burner I get a new error that happens after it finishes rendering to a temporary file. Normally at this point the cd burner begins to spin-up but instead it does nothing and I get a vague message in Wavelab, ‘an error has occurred’.
It has worked fine since WV7 was releeased. I’ve tried several types of discs, a different usb hub ( i only have 2 usb ports and the dongle takes up one, and the burner takes 2). The burner works fine in other programs.
At my studio our mac pro WV burns fine. It seems like its a WV problem since the burner doesn’t even spin-up.

Anyone have insight into the vague ‘an error has occurred’ message?? What else can i trouble shoot???
Thnks
-jon

If you don’t use a temporary file, is it the same?

Yes. It gives the same error even without rendering to a temporary file.

It has worked fine since WV7 was releeased

Do you mean it has stopped to work from one day to the other?

Did you try burning a very simple montage? Or a data CD?

Philippe

Yeah it stopped working from one day to the next. I really am not sure why. I haven’t tried burning a data cd. I only ever burn from the montage. I did try more simple versions without any luck either. Do you know what the error means? It is quite vague. thanks.

When the error is vague, it is likely to mean “unexpected”, hence rare. It could mean the burning engine can’t write anymore to a certain place on your HD, where normally it could.
Look in Options / Folders / Temporary folders. Then verify with the Finder that the various path are all read/write allowed.

You could try reinstalling WaveLab 7.2.1 but I’m not sure it can help. Or better if you can erase the old preferences before.

I have something very similar. I produce a montage for burning. I check that the CD is compliant using the icon. Then I ask it to either burn a CD or produce a DDP image. Either way it gets 3 seconds into preparing the file and then “An error has occurred”. I have closed and re-opened Wavelab7, and I have also erased the two files under Preferences. I have also tried not using a montage. It used to be possible to produce a DDP but now no longer.

The error message occurs every single time I try. I need to get this to the pressing plant and I have run out of ideas. The CD has 19 tracks and is 654Mb. Can anyone assist, please?

Just to follow on. I have re-installed Wavelab 7 and downloaded the 7.2.1 patch again. I used a different audio file, just one, and tried to create a DDP - “An error has occurred”. BTW machine is a 12-core MacPro 2.93 GHz, 17GB RAM, so not a CPU problem.

Unusual. What OS?

Hi,

in WaveLab/Global Preferences/CD Burning dialog
try with settings for 80 min CD
try the “Allow disc overflow”

try with 700 MB disc

but check with CD plant so the Audio Master CD is compatible

regards S-EH

OS is Lion 10.7.4.

Will try the other suggestion, but (1) burning to a DDP can’t be restricted by the disk size, and (2), as mentioned, I have the same problem with just a single file of say 50Mb.

Tried S-EH’s suggestion. No difference

Here’s the log:

Track 17: Digital audio track. Image: .
; Sector size 2352. Pause (150 frames) present in image.
;Track 18: Digital audio track. Image: .
;Track 19: Digital audio track. Image: .
;ERROR: Cannot create file /Applications/WaveLab 7.app/Contents/lib/_GEAREXT.vol.
;ERROR: Cannot create file /Applications/WaveLab 7.app/Contents/lib/_GEAREXT.vol.
;Creating TP_IDENT.TXT file on hard disk…
;ERROR: Cannot create TP_IDENT.TXT file.
;Log file closed at 2012 09 10 23:38:52

For some reason, WaveLab tries to write inside the application folder.
One question: how do you start WaveLab? It seems the current system path when you start WaveLab is not correct, this could be related the way you start WaveLab.

Application is in the Applications folder on Mac HD. Audio files are on internal 7200 rpm mirrored RAID array. Application is started in the usual way by bringing up the launchpad and clicking on the Wavelab7 icon. I have tried saving to the desktop on Mac HD, in case the RAID was asleep, but no difference. Thanks

Try to simply run WaveLab from the Application folder.

Thanks Philippe. Launched from the Apps folder, but no change to outcome. Should I fully uninstall Wavelab? If so, how is this best done? I don’t want to lose my montage though as it is a lot of work to recreate it.

If I try to ‘burn’ the DDP a second time, I get a warning that there are already DDP files that will be over-written if I continue. However there are no DDP files in the destination specified in the burning dialogue, and there have been no changes, since 2011, to any files in the /contents folders referred to in the error log above. So where would these DDP files be?

This message is displayed if any of these files is present in the folder you specify in the dialog:
CDTEXT.BIN
CHECKSUM.TXT
DDPID
DDPMS
gear.log
IDENT.TXT
IMAGE.DAT
PQDESCR

Please show me a picture of your dialog.

To uninstall WaveLab, you can simply delete WaveLab from tha Application folder. You won’t loose any data nor preference.

One further point. Although Wavelab seems to be trying to write files to the wrong place, the Gear log is written to the folder specified in the burn dialogue.