CD burner quandary- SATA vs IDE

Good people,

I recently upgraded my main mastering pc (specs in sig) and I have been having a bit of an issue. Without realizing it the motherboard I bought does not have any IDE ports - only SATA, which means that I can’t use my Plextor Premiums without having to get an adapter. I have tried two so far, the first one was an adapter that connected directly to the back of the drive - stupidly they don’t work with Windows 7. The second one is a PCI adapter with one IDE port and three other SATA ports.

Although the drives show up in WL and in other cd burning programs, when I attempt to burn anything they all just freeze up and stop working (this happens with other IDE drives too)

Now the main question I have is this - should I bother trying to get my IDE cd burners to work and just buy a decent SATA drive? And if I am to get a new SATA drive…which one(s) is recommended for audio masters!?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Jeff.

I have the same problems. WL6 freezes and I need to reboot the PC in order to do anything.
WL7 burns my CDs but if it’s a CD-extra, it finalizes everytime even when CD-extra is enabled. My previous posts failed to get an answer to this MAJOR problem. I’m heading out to the store this morning to purchase a SATA burner in the hopes that this will end this issue once & for all.
I’ll post my results later on.

Latest update.

Went from Plextor PX-800A to LG GH22NS70 (sata)
No success. Wavelab 6 freezes before CD burning menu opens. (9 times out of 10 with a total reboot in between tries)
Wavelab 7 burns the CD & finalizes when CD-Extra is selected. I’m once again stuck with a master to send to Universal but I cannot burn it. This is getting frustrating…

Help!!

I remember trying on a Dell laptop running XP with same results so hardware issue shouldn’t be a factor.
I’ll try on my mac…

Just finished trying on the mac.

WL 7, with the CD extra selected burned & finalized my CD just like on my other 2 PCs.
I cannot add the PDF file to the CD.

PG… This is a recurring problem with me and others it seems. I have 3 machines (XP, Win7 and Mac running latest OX) None of them will burn a CD-extra with WL 7. Wavelab 6 simply freezes on two machines. Cannot try on Mac 'cause it’s not compatible.

Help!!

I have just burnt a CD-R with mode CE-Extra, without trouble here (Win7-64), with WaveLab 7.1.1
Maybe you don’t follow the correct procedure?

1. Burn audio with the option:
    2011-07-13_18-16-46.png
  2. Burn the data session with this option;

That’s it.

Phillippe,

I’ve done these CD-extras before. Many times…
For some odd reason, it never worked with WL7 on any of my machines. We’ve been thru this before.
WL finalizes every time, no fail on both my PCs & my mac. I select CD-Extra compatible every single time, like I’ve done for the past several years. It just never worked in WL7.
In regards to WL6, the burn process just freezes. It used to work but I changed my machine last year & now it’s on/off, hit & miss. I managed to burn a CD just now with WL6. it took me 15 reboots to finally get it working. This is with a new burner. Unfortunately, the .PDF didn’t make it in the file name so I have to do it again. So far, it’s not working. I’ve rebooted 5 times now.
If I can find the WL7 update on Steinberg’s very confusing webpage, i’ll try it again with WL7.

I’ll keep you posted…

Phillippe,

I’ve done these CD-extras before. Many times…
For some odd reason, it never worked with WL7 on any of my machines. We’ve been thru this before.
WL finalizes every time, no fail on both my PCs & my mac. I select CD-Extra compatible every single time, like I’ve done for the past several years. It just never worked in WL7.
In regards to WL6, the burn process just freezes. It used to work but I changed my machine last year & now it’s on/off, hit & miss. I managed to burn a CD just now with WL6. it took me 15 reboots to finally get it working. This is with a new burner. Unfortunately, the .PDF didn’t make it in the file name so I have to do it again. So far, it’s not working. I’ve rebooted 5 times now.
If I can find the WL7 update on Steinberg’s very confusing webpage, i’ll try it again with WL7.

I’ll keep you posted…

I don’t understand what happens in your case with WaveLab 7.1. At which point does the procedure fail?

I finally managed to burn a CD-extra with WL7.

Once the audio part is done… when adding the data (in this case a PDF) you have to click on CD-Extra compatible again, as if it was to be left open. What confuses me is that once the audio is burned, before adding the ‘extra’, the CD plays in CD players even if it’s still ‘open’.

The software was essentially always telling me that no CD was available for burning. I’d then try it in a cd player and it worked… leading me to believe the CD was closed and I couldn’t add the PDF file.

Je crois avoir trouver le problème, qui est dans ce cas un code 18… mais ouf… elle n’était pas évidente celle-là.

J’avoue que WL7 est plutôt mélangeant pour un gars comme moi qui est là depuis le tout début. Les menus sont éparpillés ici et là. Mais sélectionner des options différentes pour obtenir les mêmes résultats, ca c’est dur!

Merci/Thanks

Once the audio part is done… when adding the data (in this case a PDF) you have to click on CD-Extra compatible again, as if it was to be left open.

When burning the audio, the CD-Extra option tells “don’t close the disc”.
When burning the data part, the CD-Extra option tells “create a new session”.

What confuses me is that once the audio is burned, before adding the ‘extra’, the CD plays in CD players even if it’s still ‘open’.

Not surprised. I guess most players can do this.

Philippe

Actually, even a complete burn failure of a CD Audio will ususally play. With CD Audio, first the TOC is written and then the audio data. If then the burn would fail, probably all CD players will indicate the CD as if it were complete. I know - I have many coasters from the pre-BurnProof era…

Luck, Arjan

ok so it seems my topic has been hijacked!

I would just like to know what solutions other people might have come up with in regards to not being able to connect ide burners to a pc. After trying direct adapters and two different pci cards I am now going to try an external enclosure as my last resort before shelling out for new burners that I am not sure about.

so I will ask again…what Sata burners do people use to get reliable and good masters?

@JeffM

Yes, the external enclosure was the simplest solution for us.

For SATA, we are burning with Pioneer drives. Consistently low error rates when used with TY/JVC media.

FWIW, we still run an XP PC in another room for QC/PlexTools Pro etc.

I am running PlexTools in Windows 7 x64 successfully.

On the thread topic, I have a no-name Chinese PCI/IDE card that I bought at a back-street computer shop, and it just works - it’s currently in a machine running Server 2008 R2, but it has been used without issues with WaveLab 6 and two Plextor drives. I suppose that doesn’t really help, though.

Paul

Thanks Paul and Rat,

I don’t mind using an external unit - as long as I am confident that my masters will continue to be the best quality I can possibly make I will just have to get used to it.