Hi Bob, great topic. I think that the reason WaveLab 8 and 9 appear different is something that I requested or discovered. Back in WaveLab 8, I would often not see the question mark problem until after I rendered the DDP and I opened it in another app such as HOFA DDP Player Maker. Aside from accents and odd characters, sometimes copying and pasting the wrong style of apostrophe from a clients emailed track list would trigger a question mark instead of the apostrophe, then I would have to go back to WaveLab, change it to a proper apostrophe and re-render the DDP.
The problem was that WaveLab 8 was not smart enough to display the problem/question mark right away. As soon as I went back to WaveLab t edit the problematic title, sure enough, the question mark would appear and I could easily see the issue, but not until I tried to edit the title. This means that it was easy to miss problems in WaveLab 8 CD-Text with “Restrict To ASCII” enabled. You would literally have to attempt an edit to each title to trigger the question mark and see if there was a problem title.
With WaveLab 9, I asked PG if WaveLab could be smarter and show you the issue right away so it’s more easy to notice when you have an illegal character as I’m sure many of us are copying and pasting the titles rather than typing them all manually.
Anyway, I think that’s why you see the difference between WaveLab 8 and 9. Technically, they are the same but only WaveLab 9 tells you right away when there is a problem and inserts the question mark, with WaveLab 8, you have to trick it into showing you the problem which is converted to a question mark. Maybe try it by pasting an illegal title into WaveLab 8, and then trying to edit somewhere in the title. You’ll probably then see the question mark appear.
At one point I asked PG if the question mark indicating a problem could be made red so it’s easy to distinguish from an intended question mark.