certain VST3 plugins locking WaveLab's interface

I’ve noticed this with certain plugins since WaveLab 9.5 but haven’t taken the time to report it until today.

In the scenario I’m describing, a VST3 plugin will instantiate and launch successfully. However, once the plugin interface is open, the only interactive items available are the elements within the plugin UI itself. The entire remainder of WaveLab’s UI becomes unresponsive; thus, in this state, the only way to proceed is to force-close WaveLab via Task Manager.

Two plugins causing this issue that I’ve noticed recently are SoundSpot Evade and SoundSpot Velo 2.

While SoundSpot may be a lesser-known development team, they produce quite advanced plugins; and I’ve noticed this issue with other developers’ plugins as well.

My larger concern isn’t even really the operation of the specific plugins, as much as it is that plugins can completely lock WaveLab’s interface.

Philippe, I’m actually hesitant sometimes to try new plugins out of concern that they might lock/crash WaveLab. Would you be able to architect a solution that better “sandboxes” plugins so that if a user instantiates a misbehaving plugin, the plugin doesn’t completely lock the user out of a session?

I’ve noticed this with certain plugins since WaveLab 9.5

Do you mean, same issue both with WaveLab 9.5 and 10?
Windows or Mac?

Thanks for the quick reply, Philippe.

Yes, same situation on WaveLab 9.5 and 10. This is on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit system (version 1903, build 18362.356).

I have tried SoundSpot Velo 2 (demo, VST-3) with WaveLab 10, and can’t see a problem.
How do you produce a problem?

You can see a screencapture of the issue here:

Please note that the screencap software used doesn’t visually display click actions, but throughout the portion of the capture where the cursor is moving over the general WaveLab interface, I’m clicking the various UI elements. As you can see, SoundSpot Evade itself is responsive, but the entirety of WaveLab’s interface becomes unresponsive. This occurs with both SoundSpot Evade and Velo 2 VST3 plugins, but none of their other plugins.

Also, please note that we are using 3840 x 2160 resolution for display.

The problem only happens in a HDPI screen, indeed. But this is clearly a plugin issue: when I look at why the problem freezes, I can see that the plugin stay in an “internal loop”, not giving any chance for WaveLab to do anything. You should tell the manufacturer of this plugin, they should easily find the problem.

Thanks, Philippe. So, this does happen with plugins other than SoundSpot’s. You’re saying there’s no way to check for this condition and, for example, to stop/remove the plugin automatically after a certain amount of time at the WaveLab level (with a warning to the user)?

I’m also pursuing a fix via SoundSpot for these particular plugins; just hoping that there might be a more systemic way to prevent the condition from requiring force-close in general.

So, this does happen with plugins other than SoundSpot’s.

Which one? Exact same symptoms?

no way to check for this condition and, for example, to stop/remove the plugin automatically after a certain amount of time

No, because the plugin takes control and does not give it back to WaveLab. That’s the problem.