Change manually inter-system-gap space: possible

Hi Lillie,

Thanks for the reply. everything you write makes sense.

I seem to have needs/desires that most people don’t require when it comes to spacing. I find the flow system really excellent for putting together tune folios because it means that I can put more than one tune on a single page, or design a two-page spread that has three tunes on it.

With our work, though, we often have textual elements that need to go on the page as well, and because the text, music, and layout are all evolving as the folio gets put together, it’s not practical for us to wait until the “very end” to do the layout. Layout is itself part of the design process and we need to be able to iterate on the layout as we work toward the final product.

As a result we’re just having to do a substantial amount of hand work because there’s no way to make changes that are durable if another element moves. I understand that this is extremely complicated technical/coding stuff that leads to all of this layout in the first place (and that music is much, much more complicated than text) but it is just really frustrating to have this lamborghini or an engraving program, but having to do workarounds and kludges to get it to do what we need it to do.

With regard to the system fullness indicator, can I make a function request to have the option to toggle it off?? I don’t remember seeing it that much before (thanks for confirming that) and now it’s there all the time in engraving mode and I just find it super distracting when I’m trying to work on visual layout. there are so many things on the screen in that mode that it really difficult to get a sense of what the page will look like as I’m adjusting different elements.

In graphics programs like InDesign, you can toggle views right from the page you’re working on (e.g. not like shifting to the print tab) so that you can see your work more like it will appear on the printed/screen page. In this case some of the options are “overprint preview” and “presentaiton mode” (among others).

It would be helpful to have some kind of option like this in the engraving mode as a global feature — particularly if the choice is made to keep the system fullness indicator visible at all times.

While we’re speaking of graphic design features, I’ve noticed that there is no way to adjust “tracking” which is the common term of art for adjusting line height between lines of text. This would not be necessary/useful for most applications in music engraving, but it is really important for blocks of text – say, for example, chunks of lyrics that you put down at the bottom of a page. I might like to use 12pt text and adjust the line height (tracking) to 16pt, or something like that to give the text the chance to breathe a bit.

ahhh… Lillie,

I can see that “hide invisibles” (accent grave key) is very powerful. It essentially functions as “overprint preview.” in indesign.

Any chance there could be a way to just toggle that on or off somehow??

It’s a bit crazy but I’ve found that if I hold down the Hide Invisibles key as I use the key command to go to the next layout, it sticks. And so then you don’t see anything but the music. The downside is that anything you select won’t actually get highlighted even though it is in fact selected. You can just press the Hide Invisibles again and they reappear.

Dodgy but meh!

1 Like

Hi @Lillie_Harris,

Sorry to be a pest, but I’d like to flag this topic again as a feature request. Is there any way to make toggle switch to give the option to make “hide invisibles” not subject to holding down a single key (therefore making it impossible to actually work).

I mean … ah. … if they are invisibles, can’t we have the option to let them be truly invisible when we want them to be?

Like, right now they’re definitely VISIBLE in Engraving mode.
thanks, jw

On my system (Windows, Swedish keyboard) the key command for “Hide invisibles” is \ which is achieved by pressing AltGr and the key with +?\ on it. If I release the AltGr key before the +?\ the invisibility will remain. If I press the key command again but in the normal way, things will be visible again.

Does this work for you?

You can always Hide Signposts, which will remove all the ‘invisible’ things that Dorico flags, and so that should be sufficient to work on stuff that might be hidden by signposts. You’ll still have frames, but that shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

If you read up the thread, you’ll see that Jakeysworld was asking for a way to hide the fullness indicators on a semi-permanent basis.