Change pitch of individual midi notes

I’m wanting to remap the midi keyboard to implement ‘Negative Harmony / Mirror Harmony’ which calls for converting all 12 notes of the octave to 12 different notes – think of it like a scrambled keyboard that doesn’t play the note you are pressing.

All the C’s become G, all the A’s become Bb etc.

Ideally this could be done to be able to perform live in ‘Negative Harmony’ while playing in standard tuning.

Did I imagine this feature exists in a tutorial that showed somewhere in Cubase the ability to remap/assign the notes?

My goal is a bit different than using Transpose to ‘stay in key’, it is a complete transformation of every note I’m going for.

I am able to accomplish this in Kontakt by uploading custom tuning scripts – but of course I would rather have this feature globally so I can use all my VSTs and not just certain Kontakt instruments with remapped keyboards.

Off the top of my head, I bet you could repurpose Drum Maps for the task. The Input Transformer seems like an obvious candidate, but I think it would quickly get cumbersome & unwieldy there.

A long time ago I remapped all the white keys so they worked like a Kilimba where each adjacent key was a 3rd from its neighbor. But I have no idea how I did it.

2 Likes

DrumMap sounds like a good idea, as you can define for each incoming note the outgoing note.

Another way to do it is outside of Cubase with a MIDI tool like MIDI-Ox:
grafik

Sorry I don’t know if or how to use what I think you’re referring to which is a feature I use in another program all of the time like this.

Do you mean like this
(In the picture those individual lines represent the pitch not transpose and can be moved by entire values across partial or all of each individual midi.)

I would love to know if someone has the answer?…

I guess you refer to as pitch-bending individual notes (in Cubase it is done via NoteExpression) where the OP wants to remap the midi keyboard.

It’s not a Pitchbend unfortunately
This is micro pitch expression editing at work.
The power of midi 2.0

Yes, and in Cubase you can find it as “Note Expression”. Kindly refer to the manual for further info.

3 Likes

Ah. Thought this was the case. I use the expression editor a lot. I’ll take a look at the materials you suggested thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the input, I’ve stumbled upon a potential solution using Input Transformer where I assign each note to a “scale” (a custom scale that is only one note.)

It will take a bit to set it all up but will let you know how / if it worked.

I’m curios if this does work how it will decides which octave the notes belong. . .

1 Like

Now this I’m keen to see…

I would encourage you to take a look at using Drum Maps. In this example from the manual, when you play an A1 note on your keyboard it will send a C1 to the VSTi.

EDIT
Ignore the O-Note setting the above pic.

1 Like

Kind of like hacking a drum rack feature from Ableton. I like it bro :clap:t4:

Drum Maps are also useful in all sorts of non-drum situations where you want to name some Notes for some reason. The names show up in the Key Editor on the Notes themselves.

Good point. I default to the piano roll so much but it’s probably time to get uncomfortable.

This has potential, especially if drum maps could be saved for easy recall. In practice I would be remapping all 128 notes (with 12 different versions for each key).

Thanks

Was able to Mirror the entire keyboard at middle C (making everything high become low and vice versa) using Midi Effect > Transformer.

Next is to tinker with even more customizations.

Got it working. Brilliant, Thank you.