Change staff from Grand to single?

I have a piece and I want to change it from grand staff (bass and treble) to single staff. How is this done please?

Z

Typically you would do it by telling Dorico to hide staves when empty, which you can do by activating Allow individual staves of multi-staff instruments on the Vertical Spacing page of Layout Options.

1 Like

Thank you Daniel, but this has not worked here. The bass staffs are empty, but there is a key change. Basically this is a piano score that I want to convernt ot real book style (treble melody and chord symbols) - permanantly.
Perhaps I just need to copy and past the melody somehow to a new track (is this called a thread?)

Z

I’m not following why this wouldn’t work, though. If those staves are truly empty, they should hide.

The only thing in these staves are repeat markers (joint) double barlines and a keychange.
Z

My bad. I had it set exclude my piano score. Oops!

Thinking… in future if I am writing a lead sheet for a jazz number - just a melody and chord symbols, is it better to choose a piano grand staff and hide the lower staff, or is it better to work with a simple treble clef?
Not sure if I understand enough yet to make an informed decision

Z

Why not just add a vocal-only layout (score or part depending on the format you want) and use that as your public layout?

1 Like

What is the technical difference in Dorico between a “score” and a part. I am noticing athat when you create one part a second “score” part is created. Not sure why yet, though I can guess a bit…
Z

At the point at which you start a project with a single player, Dorico doesn’t know whether or not you’re going to add further players. If your project will only ever contain one player then you can safely delete one of the two default layouts.

The differences (by default) are some of the Layout Options and the Page Template Set. You could override either of those, though - it’s pretty easy to make a score layout look like a part layout and vice-versa. Internally there is a separation, though. For instance, Paragraph Styles can use different sizes in Score layouts and Part layouts.

1 Like

That helps thanks. From this I guess its p-robably best to go with the part and delete the score, if you sre dealing with only one part.

Z