Change Velocity for Multiple Staves

Hi, just a quick question. Couldn’t find out with a search. Can you change velocities for different instrument staves with notes selected from each staff simultaneously? Find myself wanting to do this a lot. I do remember there also being an option to type in a box a specific number for velocities. I’m assuming that will come back with the next update? I guess in a perfect world you would be able to do some sort of multiple selection and then type in a specific velocity. No stress. But couldn’t seem to find it anywhere. Guilty of not rtfm though! Keep up the great work. Cheers from down under. Simon

unfortunately not at the moment - and you’re far from being the only person who would use this all the time. As well as typing in a specific velocity number another way would be simply to drag one slider with the rest following as you often don’t need a specific number but just an approximate level. I think Dorico will soon be able to do very flexible transformations on CC and velocity lanes for individual tracks but I’m a bit concerned that the same priority may not have been given to the equally important question of harmonising the dynamic level between instrument staves.

Naturally, in the score you can quickly copy written dynamic across various parts but of course a written dynamic is only approximate and often needs fine-tuning. In a concrete example from something I’ve just been working on, with the Cinematic Studio libraries, the first note in a legato phrase often has an accent which you don’t always want. A change to the velocity quickly corrects this. So you might want to select a number of these across different instruments and change them all at once in one simple operation. It’s frustrating not to be able to do this.

Since we already have playback start and end offsets as properties of notes which can be set in write or engrave mode, I wish we could set the velocities of selected notes from multiple instruments in the same way.

1 Like

That’s what I want right from the start - not just for ‘velocity’ specifically, but for the dynamics in general - a dynamic offset!
(And of course you should be able to optionally either set this offset of all selected notes to the same value or scale it by a specific value)

(A corresponding ‘playback/dynamic-offset-keystroke-overlay’ in write mode would certainly also be a good solution)

In MIDI, the start and stop times and velocities are properties of notes, but dynamics in general can also involve continuous controllers which are not properties of notes.

From a musical point of view, dynamics is a property like timing and should be treated in this field independently of how it is ultimately generated.
I hope my Google English is sufficient.

I entirely take your point here but wonder if the distinction isn’t in practical terms more of a semantic one. In either case, we are talking about the manipulation of MIDI data by a fixed offset across different instruments. With velocity, it’s the notes themselves and with CC it’s the specific CC value which was and soon will be again shown by a selectable dot in the dynamics lane (or other manually entered data). If there are major technical differences in how these two are coded, it would be interesting to hear from the team.

For me it is the task of a software at the highest user level (here: the notation / the Dorico writing mode) to be able to hide technical backgrounds.
Dorico offers technical transparency in its midi editors and X-maps and ‘lanes’, but on the notation level I expect a dynamic control that is usual here, which nevertheless largely enables the fine-tuned possibilities of the dynamic lane. (Tastaurnah / ‘on the fly’ as actually usual in Dorico)

Best regards
Bertram

PS Notion/Presonus also works with a dynamic level abstraction and allows dynamic control in the score such as ± 0.45)