Change Voice Colors?

I searched and not found any way to change voice colors. I understand that we are using different colors for the same voice in treble & bass clefs to handle cross staff issues - and perhaps I’m doing something wrong - but it appears that Down Stem 1 are identical in both clefs - and these are the same as Down-stem 3. There are others that are almost identical.

I know there are only so many colors, but I’m finding this a bit difficult to work with. Is there any way to over-ride the default voice colors?
Voice Colors.dorico.zip (312 KB)

The voice colors are assigned by rule and are not changeable. (At least not yet.)

Often, the stems won’t change until there is a voice with the opposite stem direction. If I use a down stem voice, but it is the only voice on the staff, it will adhere to the general rules of stem direction; once I add an up stem voice, the down stem pitches all switch to having their stems down. In this way it is a little different than some other programs. Or, perhaps I am misunderstanding the problem?

I think the OP is (understandably) bothered that some voices are very similar shades of the same color, which can be confusing at times.

I find it very hard to work with voice colors because the default bass clef (piano) voice 2 is the same color (orange) as the note select color. Also, the intensity of the orange and red are similar so they are often hard (for my eyes) to quickly distinguish from one another. Would it be possible to give this just a little higher priority?

1 Like

Same here, I noticed also same voice shows up with different color. Very confusing

I and others requested this, In Dorico 5 you can assign custom colours to voices:

Is this not OK?

What do you mean same voice different colour?

Ok, thanks I’m still at version 4

I changed all notes to downstem number one. but they still stay different color

That’s not the same voice. And the green rests show there is at least one voice more lurking about.

1 Like

I know what you mean, but I “commanded” that all notes on the lower staff should be assigned to downstem voice 1. What is happening here?

@Jan_Klein_Swormink
Maybe you have a Cross Staff situation: the violet notes are being cross staffed from the upper staff. In this case Dorico considers them belonging to the upper staff and doesn’t change the voice. Try to select bar49 and 50 (both staves) and right click Cross Staff/Reset to original staff
After that you have a clearer idea where the voice are positioned. Instead of using Cross Staff is better in such cases to use Move to Staff below/above

3 Likes

Thanks for your help!
it makes it more clear indeed. i think it is so messed up because it is a music xml import from Staffpad

1 Like