Change written notes / chords without changing rhythmic value?

Let’s say I have a note or chord already written out - how do I change the notes in them using my midi controller without affecting the rhythmic or position?
For example given this:
I want to change it to this:
If I’m trying to use the regular note input mode (with shift+N) it will try to input the rhythmic value that is selected in edition to the existing notes, like so:

A follow up question - how do I ADD a note to a chord so its rhythmic value is the same as the chord? I know I can use Q to add notes to a chord in note input, but if the rhythmic value selected is different then the chord it will not produce the result I want:

1. Make sure the intended note duration is selected prior to inputting the new/replacement chord? If whole notes rather than eighths were selected, you should get the result in your 2nd picture.

2. You could use the note tools popover, although again adding notes with a MIDI keyboard with Chords active should work as expected provided you’ve selected the note duration you want.

If you want to change the pitches of existing notes without changing their rhythms, use the Lock Durations tool:

2 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.
I haven’t had the chance to go over the manual yet so I missed this :man_facepalming:

If you’re still quite new to Dorico, it might be worth looking through our First Steps guide. It’s a walkthrough tutorial of creating a short piano piece, and it doesn’t cover everything but it does show in-context a number of key skills with little asides that clarify some of Dorico’s approach and reasoning.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I am already familiar with the basic principles of Dorico but I’ll check that out