Changing plugin from always on top crashes cubase

I’m on windows 11, cubase 12.0.30 pro

I have this plugin Massive X from Native Instruments which used to work as expected in the past.
But I now have this problem where deselecting always on top makes the plugin window disappear (which they usually do for a short moment), never reappear again and crashing the GUI completely.
The plugin still takes MIDI input and plays back notes. Nothing else in cubase is reacting to anything, though. I have to task manager quit cubase and restart.

reproduce:

• start cubase with disabled preferences
  • create track with massive x
  • open vst window
  • right click top area, menu pops up and ‘always on top’ should be ticked
  • click it to deselect
    → crash

When using Massive X inside the Komplete wrapper VST ‘always on top’ works as expected, no crashes. I usually use Massive X this way, so this thing could be around for a while.
But I’m sure at least in cubase 11 it wasn’t there.

1 Like

let’s assume this is solved.

Hi,

How, please?

a bit of an old thread but just discovered the same issue when using roland’s tr-707…when i uncheck the “always on top” the plugin disappears and cubase is frozen…this in on cubase 12.0.50 windows 11…also freezes in cubase 11 and 10.5 so looks like it’s not something new in 12…

all my other plugins -so far–don’t seem to have this issue so it may be the way the gui is encoded because if i switch to the “generic editor” and
turn off “always on top” it doesn’t crash cubase…and when i switch back to the gui version cubase seems to run fine and the plugin remain in aot=off mode…a bit of a work-around i guess…

Having this same exact issue with Massive X on Cubase Pro 12.0.70. It only happens with Massive X, no other VSTi.

1 Like

Hi,

Most probably the crash is in the given plug-in. Make sure you have the latest version installed, please.

If it’s still crashing, attract the crash/DMP file to verify if it’s really in the plug-in, please.

The latest version of Massive X is installed and up-to-date. This is only an issue on Cubase, works fine on Ableton Live 11 and FL Studio 21. I don’t have a DMP file for this, I’m assuming that’s because I have to use Task Manager to get Cubase to close once it freezes up. If I can get it to generate a DMP file, I’ll come back and post it here.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

same problem

Hi,

Same request. Attach the *.ips/*.dmp file, please.

Hi ,
Thanks for the swift reply. It seems to be a plugin (MassiveX ) , has a problem with window 11 , I think .
Thanks again

1 Like

hi yeah seem to be still happening
mahy thanks
jono

Cubase 12.0.70.464 64bit 2023.11.21 13.26.14.584.dmp (2.16 MB)