Changing/reducing a melody system into a rhythmic/perc system

Hello, the problem ist as written above. I´d like to

Change/reduce a melody system into a rhythmic/perc system.
What would be the best way? The percsystem should just have one line with lyrics below.

And a following problem: Can I change the notation style without changing the player?
f.e: The first 4 bars Soprano with 2 voices , from bar 5 percussion with one line?

And is there a possibility to change the instrument names form line to line? It is a piece for different parts of a choir: Group 1 , tutti , Group 2 etc

Thank you

1. You can’t change a pitched instrument into an unpitched instrument, so for that you might need to add the unpitched instrument and copy the material manually. If you copy notes from a pitched 5-line staff to an unpitched single-line staff, Dorico automatically puts all the notes on the staff line.
  2. If you have a solo player that holds both a soprano instrument and a single-line percussion instrument, Dorico will handle the instrument change for you, including showing the change in staff lines. Just write the music for the soprano on the soprano staff, and for percussion on the percussion staff (probably easiest in galley view, where all staves are shown).
  3. If you use section players for your choir, you can use divisi changes to handle both any staff number changes you need (e.g. if Group 1 needs to split onto 2 staves) and staff label changes by editing the names for that divisi change.

Thank you!Greets

1. If you have a solo player that holds both a soprano instrument and a single-line percussion instrument, Dorico will handle the instrument change for you, including showing the change in staff lines. Just write the music for the soprano on the soprano staff, and for percussion on the percussion staff (probably easiest in galley view, where all staves are shown).

Sorry I don’t get this, how do I tell Dorico that there is change of instrument, or where from does the program know that?

You assign both instruments to the same Player and then use Galley mode to enter notes on the appropriate instrument staff. Dorico will take care of the switch.

1 Like

Ah now I get it, thanks.

Lillie, in response to point 3, I am sorry if I am missing something:
if there is a choral piece with section players using divisi, what would be the best way to change to single line staff for parts, in which only approximate pitch is notated (e.g. rhythmically spoken)?

Matouš

That’s an interesting question, because only section players can divide, and only single (previously known as “solo”) players can hold more than one instrument.

I was going to say use a single player instead, because they can do instrument changes, but adding extra staves to an instrument (which you could do to simulate divisi) prevents an instrument doing automatic instrument changes within the same system. If you are able to show the single-line sections on separate systems to the notated sections, you could do that and hide empty staves?

Or, use grand staff instruments instead of vocal instruments (e.g. for each voice section, have a single player holding a piano and a single-line percussion instrument).