Changing tempo

Hi, i recently moved to cubase 9 pro, on my old version if i had chopped up a bit of audio and snapped to grid i could just change tempo and adjust the loop marker and the audio would stay on grid, in 9 when i drop tempo its actually not changing the speed, the audio just moves around but the grid stays static my midi does the same, is this some new setting that i cant find? its driving me nuts as i now have to move all the audio back onto the grid?
if anyone can point me in the direction to turn this off it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

Make sure, your tracks are set to musical base (orange note, not Grey clock in the Track icons), please.

But you should change tempo back to original, turn on orange note and than change tempo to that one you like.

Changing tempo can result in a mess until one gets their head around musical timebase vs. linear timebase.

The first thing to keep in mind is that although musical timebase sounds an awful lot like “musical mode”, they are completely different functions! It’s not uncommon for people to use one term when they mean the other, so when reading explanations and posts, it’s important to stop and decide whether the poster is using the correct term … otherwise things make no sense at all and can get very confusing!

Back to musical timebase vs. linear timebase: It’s critical to have the right timebase chosen on each and every track before changing tempo, otherwise things will probably wind up playing at the wrong point in the project. (BTW: a nice feature in Cubase 9.0.20, going back as far as Cubase 8.5 or earlier possibly, is a Project Logical Editor setting to toggle all the tracks’ timebases).

For example, if you have a track (audio or midi) with multiple segments (pieces of music set along the track), and it is set to musical timebase (the orange quarter note icon), when you change the tempo and play the track, all the segments will START at the same BEAT as they did in the original tempo.

On the other hand, if your track with multiple segments is set to linear timebase (the gray clock icon), when you change the tempo and play the track, all the segments will START at the same TIME (as in minutes:seconds) as they did at the original tempo, but of course that means that the starting beat of each segment will be different than it was at the original tempo.

One last thing, regarding visual “shifts” on the screen when changing tempo: whether the music “shifts” visually on the display when the tempo is changed depends on not just which timebase the track is set to, but also whether the ruler display is in bars:beats mode vs. minutes:seconds. For example, if the tempo is changed with the track in musical timebase, and the ruler display is in bars:beats mode, there probably won’t be any “shift” apparent on the screen. But if the ruler is in minutes:seconds mode, there probably will be a visual “shift”.

Conversely, if the tempo is changed with the track in linear timebase, and the ruler display is in bars:beats mode, there probably will be a visual shift of the musical bits on the screen. But if the ruler is in minutes:seconds mode, there probably won’t be.

Hope that helps a bit. There is a section in the documentation dealing with this (or there used to be in the .pdf version, I haven’t checked to see in the on-line version), and that may help as well.