Changing tied dotted note to un-dotted

Hi,

I’ve been looking in the notation options to changed a dotted tied not to not be dotted, but I can’t seem to find where to change it.

I want to change this

To this

I appreciate your help.

in write>notation options, under ‘note grouping’, there are options to tell dorico not to automatically split notes at beats, and at mid-measure. i believe that will help.

but i think if you click the note, hit ‘lock duration’, and enter it again, it should enter it right, regardless of those settings.

for myself, i turned all those options off. if i want it split at the beats, i will enter it that way myself. i just wish there were a setting to have ‘lock duration’ on by default.

1 Like

This has been discussed often and it has been explained why this would definitely not be a good idea, especially when copying, shifting rhythmic positions, etc. One of the things I like about Dorico is its encouraging us to think in terms of total note lengths instead of a series of separate notes with ties between them. This is actually the way it functions in the music itself. Dorico has a large number of settings for observing different engraving preferences within the confines of accepted notational practice.

@frm5993 Thanks for your reply. I got it to work by using “Force Duration” where I had to re-enter it. For some reason when I used “Lock Duration” and applied the “Tie” it would still force the dotted measure.
I also tried every single option in the note duration groupings and nothing helped getting rid of the dotted not. So only thing that did work was the re-entering using “Force Duration”. Strange.

@Vaughan_Schlepp That honestly makes sense. I just wanted to copy the original Williams score so they looked the same. From being a past drummer, not having the dotted notes is actually easier to read for me. I had a lot of drumming books where they would not have dotted notes :smiley:

I’m glad you found the difference between “Force Duration,” which is what you wanted, and “Lock,” which is akin to Finale’s Repitch Tool, which allows you to quickly change the pitch of each note without altering the rhythm.

Not to be picky, but the crescendo wedges in the 2 examples you picture are completely different. If you want a crescendo starting on beat 3, your first example is notated correctly, If you want it starting on beat 4, then the second example (half note) will be OK.

Good point. It can be clearer to have a note at the point at which you need a dynamic.

@notesetter Very good point. I think this is the main reason Williams noted it like that in the second example.