Chinese characters near piano pedal?

Hi! I just noticed this in the PDF generated from my score in Dorico Pro v3.5

These chars appear on the first bar in each system with a piano pedal almost every time (90%).

They’re also present in the Engrave mode so it’s not a “PDF thing”.

Dorico3.5_vboHYjF7zQ

Any way to get rid of them?

Hi Tatiana,

If you can cut down the score to just the parts which are affected and post it here on the forum, I’m sure that other users (including myself) would be quite to keen to investigate (and hopefully solve) this problem for you.
The best way to “cut down” a score is to make a copy of it first (or Save as…) and then do the surgery on the copy. Before posting, make sure that the spurious characters do actually display in the cut-down version.
If the Chinese characters do not display when the score is opened on someone else’s computer then it is likely that the cause of the problem is on your computer - corrupted fonts, system settings, etc.

1 Like

Thank you Steven! I will try as soon as I get back to my studio. BTW I slightly edited my post above. The Chinese characters (or Japanese or Korean?) are present on 90% of the first piano bars with pedal in each system. In 10% of times the pedal symbols are ok. It never happens on other bars, only in the first of each line. Strange!

It looks to me like a problem with drawing parentheses around the pedal symbol. If you can attach your project (even just a few bars that exhibit the problem) we should be able to figure out how they’ve gone awry.

1 Like

Daniel, you are absolutely right. It happens when the pedal is already pressed at the start of a new system, i.e. that it should indicate it with (Ped.) on first bar. I see it even in Write mode of the Piano part like here:

I wil try to extract the Piano flow/part and post it here. Please note it’s a work in progress.

Here’s the piano part. I hope I did it correctly. :slight_smile:

Tatiana A. Gordeeva - 18_Piano - Hitchcock’s Carousel.dorico (1.1 MB)

The pedal markings in your file display correctly on my setup. My guess is that it is caused by a non-current version of the Bravura font. Daniel correctly diagnosed this with an issue I had some weeks back. Uninstalling the old version of the font and then installing the latest version fixed it.

(Ped)

1 Like

Thank you so much Steven! So helpful! :+1:
I will try to find out how to update the Bravura font as you suggest.

I’m just looking for the download address right now. It’s hosted on github.com, but that site is not always the easiest to navigate or to find things on.

Is that it?

That’s the site, but it seems to be geared towards those who are extremely tech-savvy, as instructions for the less knowledgeable are pretty thin on the ground.

Try this:

Download both.

Bravura.otf
and
BravuraText.otf

If you’re using a Mac, I can assist you with the re-installation process.

1 Like

I’m on Windows 10. Downloaded both files.
Tried to install. Did not work.
I get each time this message:
explorer_tbMZK3wXM3

I’m afraid I can’t help there. Even though I have used Windows, it has been a few years and on older versions as well. Someone else will be able to offer the appropriate advice for you.

1 Like

I’m almost there. My husband had to modify the install ISS script for the Inno compiler to make it work. He says he has never seen such a messy process to simply install fonts and he’s a theoretical physicist!

Anyway many thanks for your help Steven. Much appreciated!!

Hubby finally saved the day! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your help! :+1:

Here’s a good link to get you started on this process!
https://forum.sagittal.org/viewtopic.php?t=429

Notes to Steinberg:

1. In Windows the Inno install script (*.iss) points to a bad license file location.
    It refers to a drive Z: and seems to be hard coded in the script.

2. There should be an easier way to update old fonts and it should be done automatically when you start Dorico imho.

It’s not normally the case that you would have to muck about with Dorico’s fonts at all. The software does install and indeed update the fonts as necessary when you install or update the software. Sometimes there can be some peculiar problems with the font caches in Windows, and restarting the computer is often sufficient to fix them, but apparently not in this case.

Anyway, I’m glad this is now resolved for you.

1 Like

Would it be possible, each Dorico is loaded (not just when installed), to check for old or corrupted fonts and install fresh ones automatically?

Anyway thanks again Daniel for pointing out the problem. It was our AhAh moment :slight_smile:

Best, Tatiana

Check every time Dorico loads? That would slow things down quite a bit at the start, I would think.

1 Like

Why? I don’t think so. First Dorico would check versions and integrity. A fraction of a second at most. Then download only if necessary of course. Fonts are very small files, they install fast. Latest versions could be kept on Steinberg web site and be loaded as part of the hub when starting. Anyway, just an idea… :wink: