Chorale

Yes - an unanticipated result. However, if, instead of reducing the barline width, you change the bar lines to dashed barlines, and in the ‘engraving option’ change the dash length to something like 1/200 the barlines will vanish. You will still have the spacing issue that perhaps can be ameliorated in engraving mode.

Just make the dash length zero.

1 Like

To the OP you could:

1. put in the cut c time signature,
  2. Change the dash length to zero and put a dashed barline (that won’t render) in place of the standard barline that appears
  3. then switch to open meter and hide the open meter
  4. condense that wee bit of extra space for the now-hidden barline in note spacing mode
  5. Add ticks where needed manually
1 Like

How about:

1. In Notation Options, set Barlines > Default barline type to “Tick (top)”
  2. Set the first measure’s time signature to “cutc,5”
  3. Insert hidden 5/2 and 4/2 time signature changes according to where tick marks are

If you don’t like the straight design of the ticks, select dashed barlines instead, set their dash length to to zero (in Engraving Options) and add diagonal breath marks manually.

EDIT: I suppose this is not sufficient if you do not want the spacing to be distorted across ticks…

Honestly, in this case the time signature seems completely unnecessary. It’s pretty obvious what’s going on, and I doubt any organist would be confused on how to lead, or any congregant on how to sing.

1 Like

I think it’s best to enter an open time signature (maybe use the Penderecki version) and change the music symbol in the music symbols editor.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed reading that: notation pedantry of this magnitude makes my heart sing.
How about something on neumes? (only kidding)

Interesting. I’m not familiar with this method. Could you please give some hints/steps how to do it?

Edit: I think I ‘got it’:

1. Open meter with “X”
  2. Library > Music Symbols
  3. Locate the X symbol
  4. Remove “X”, insert “c”

Is this change local (i.e. current file) or “site” (for all future projects)? I did not save the file until I know…

Yes basically you got it. You can do the same with the penderecki symbol, which is maybe even less likely to be used:
before:

after:

The change is only local, meaning it only affects this one Dorico project.

2 Likes