Chorale

How do I specify c-time in this sample

When I try c,16.5 I get ties* and when I try to Force Duration for those pairs it gets even worse.

*and a bar line but it can be removed in ‘post’.

I can do this

but when removing the bar line in post, the spacing is wrong between 1st and 2nd note.

TIA.

What are you trying to achieve? You’ve got 30.5 beats up to the breve. If you want actual “C-time”, then I’d do “C,2.5” in the popover.

Whether you get ties or notes for the syncopations will depend on your Notation Options.

2 Likes

I want exactly the first image, but with a “C” time sign.

With C,2.5 I get

but I don’t want bar lines.

(In my first try I turned off all ties (single notes only), it did not help much)

You want a time signature but no bar lines? I don’t follow this idea. What does it mean? [Pardon my ignorance.]

1 Like

Don’t you just need c,0.5?

I agree that is is strange format, but one that the author wants for a book. Variants of this is often seen for hymns in the Swedish hymn bok, where there are no bar lines, but music “as normal”.

Here is a sample of #141

(The “/” is a breath-mark.)

Yes, one could make it C,0.5 and X on 2nd note, but that would add a bar line between 1st and 2nd note, and even if I remove the bar line in Illustrator, the spacing will not be correct as the barline reserves space left and right.

I would suggest simply adding the “time signature” (it’s not really a time signature, of course) as a text item, making room for it using the note spacing tool in Engrave mode.

1 Like

OK, open-time and then insert C as text object? Is there some ‘guides’ (guide values) so that I get a consistent distance compared to “real music” samples made by Dorico’s functions, or does it need to be “by eye”.

There are no specific features in Dorico for faking time signatures and producing identical spacing, no. If you want a real time signature with the proper spacing, you should, you know, use a real time signature.

1 Like

Or in this case enter with Insert Mode a quaver rest, use c,39 as time signiture, then hide the rest and fix the spacing in Engrave Mode. You might need to use force duration on the Breve at the end.

Edit: See here - project also attached.
Vom Himmel hoch.dorico (437.5 KB)

In this example you could use a normal time signature, then change the barline in Notation Options to “tick”.

That would result in many bar “ticks”. The music has no ticks, just a few breath-marks.

This was a good trick! Then I don’t need to manually place the C.

Although you could use a interchanging 5/2 4/2 time signature, Switch on the cutc property in the properties panel and set the bar"tick" as you need.

edit: in fact, don’t bother with the interchanging, just use 5/2 and set barlines “tick” where needed.

In the library manager - ‘engraving options’ - you can set the barline thickness to some absurd value like 1/200 and the barlines will vanish.

This is probably very “odd” music notation and not that common.

(I’m used to the

treble C cc (“whatever time you want”)…

command in another program I used a long time ago that made this very easy to do. Perhaps something for a future version of Dorico?)

Yes, but Dorico will retain the space around the bar line still

(See the 3rd+2nd last notes where Dorico does the “correct” calculation.)

and it affects the final bar line

Ah yes - you do have barlines, they are just tick barlines. As far as I can see having a time signature and no barlines does not make sense.

Here is #1, with both bar lines and breath-marks

I don’t know so much about music in general, but it seems hymn books like this “open meter”.