Chord Diagram in library differs from music

Some common ukulele chords in the Edit Chord Diagrams dialog are correct, but on the page of music, with the same name, they look different—and although the notes are technically correct, the placement is not what a player usually uses.

Here is how the C chord and A_2 (should be A/C#) inversion look in the music, both above all the staves and above the notes in the body of the music.

The C chord, 1 finger, 3rd fret on the 1st string, is the first chord many folks learn to play. How do we get the library diagram to appear in the same configuration in the music?

I think you may just need to select the chord diagram and use the Chord Symbols and Diagrams > Cycle Chord Diagram (or the Show All Variants of Chord Diagram) from the right-click menu to choose the one you want.

Thanks for replying, Richard. There are several Chord Diagram locations in the menus. I got the big diagrams above from the Library>Chord Diagrams>Edit Chord Diagrams dialog. Please lead me by the hand—exactly where will I find the Chord Symbols and Diagrams > Cycle Chord Diagram (or the Show All Variants of Chord Diagram) from the right-click menu?

Either right-click in the score itself when a chord symbol is selected, or look under Edit > Notations from the main menu.

Ah-ha! One learns something every day about Dorico. Many thanks for showing me the magic of a chord symbol right click. That’s just what I needed to know.

The “cycle” command also has a default key command of Alt+Q, which isn’t too difficult to remember and is very useful.

Thank you for pointing that out. And is there a way to select, say, all C chords, and change them all at once, or is that asking for the moon?

No. But once you have decided on your favourite C variant, you can paste it straight in wherever you need it using alt-click.

Hurray! Thanks for the clue. Bit by bit, I’m learning how to use the tools, obvious and otherwise.

You can use Edit > Notations > Chord Symbols and Diagrams > Copy Shape to Matching Chord Symbols to apply your preferred shape to all chords of the same type.

Thanks, Daniel. My preferred shape is tall and curvy.

1 Like

Oops—that was a personal preference.

2 Likes