Chord Diagrams

I have recently been working with chord diagrams and have adjusted the size of various parameters with success. However, I do have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to add fingerings to the dots either on the dots themselves (maybe in white) or underneath the string?

2. Is it possible to display the interval of the chord underneath the string?

3. Can I change the vertical positioning of the chord diagram so that it is further above the stave?

4. And finally, I would also like to be able to indicate which note is the root of the chord as I use a lot of voicings where the root isnā€™t the bass note. Is this possible?

Many thanks!

1. Itā€™s not possible yet, but planned for the future.
  2. Iā€™m not sure what you think of as the ā€œintervalā€ of the chord ā€“ can you be a bit more descriptive?
  3. Specifying the distance above the staff of the chord symbol on the Chord Symbols page of Engraving Options will also move chord diagrams further away as well.
  4. No, at the moment, thereā€™s no way to indicate the root of the chord (e.g. with a different-shaped dot) but this too is planned.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have adjusted the distance between the staff and the chord diagram box as you suggested and this looks better visually.

With regard to intervals, my students often find it helpful to know what the intervals from the root of a chord are. For example, if we take as an example the chord of Bm7b5 utilising the 6th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings, it would be great to have the following under those strings R b7 b3 b5. Alternatively the fingering could be displayed under those strings - 2 3 4 1 instead!

With regard to displaying the root of the chord in the diagram itself, maybe having the option to display an instance of the unfilled circle to represent it?

Having used Dorico for a matter of weeks now, I am starting to understand it a little better and appreciate the huge amount of work and commitment that has gone into it from you and your team. Itā€™s a brilliant product. Thanks again.

I think that you misread my question re: adjusting the gap between the chord diagram box and the staves. I have successfully moved the chord name in relation to the the chord diagram but Iā€™m struggling to see where I can adjust the distance between the chord diagram box itself and the staff below it.

Iā€™ve found out how to move the diagrams!

Hi Nick, describing the function of the chord tones (R, 3, b7, 13) would be a great feature.
I can imagine to describe the fingering within the dots in the diagram (the dots are numbered) and would suggest to describe the function of the chord tones beneath the diagram. What do you think?
BW
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

Yes, It would be good if this could become a feature. Being able to include fingerings as shown would be cool too! Something like the attached. Chord Box.pdf.zip (42.7 KB)

Exactlyā€¦ BTW i also think about a sort of ā€˜construction setā€™ for drop2, drop3 chords ā€¦
What do you think about that?!
Be
Bernhard

What sort of thing do you envisage?

I assume you know what Drop2 and the like means.
Now it would be great if you could use for example the Drop2 construction 5(D string) 1(G string) 3(B string) and 7(e string) so that you are called Cmaj7 in the 5th fret and Ebmaj7 in the 8th fret.
I hope I express myself understandably.

Hi Nick, until such features become integrated into Dorico, Iā€™ve made a font to solve this. Dropbox - MusFrets Public Info - Simplify your life

1 Like

Hi Dan, Thatā€™s fantastic. The overview was a model of clarity and I canā€™t wait to start using it. Many thanks for all the work you put into this. Take care. Nick

1 Like