Chord pads - C9 without dominant? A bit confused.

Hello,
I’m a bit confused after playing with the chord pads in Cubase 10.0.30.
When I type in C major, with the tension 9 in the pad editor, it plays Cadd9.
I was under the impression that when we write “C9”, it is implied that it is a dominant chord(C7) with an added 9.
If I want the dominant chord, Cubase want me to write C7/9.

Is this a bug, or is it just a variation on how to write out the chord?
It’s not a big deal, just somewhat confusing.

Regards :slight_smile:

The columns will make more sense to you if you use these terms for the columns’ names:

| root | triad | extension or alteration | bass note |

When you’re using the mouse to select these elements it’s not the same as typing or writing in a chord symbol– you have to explicitly select each interval, and the second column refers to the triad only.

In the chord track, the chord editor has a text field. If you type C9 there, you get C dominant 7 with the 9th.

You can customize how chord spellings are displayed in Preferences>Event Display>Chords and Pitches.

Hi,

Myself I would also expect:
C9 = C-E-G-Bb-D
Cadd9 = C-E-G-D

But both is possible. This is just a different way of writing the Chord symbols.

Writing C9 and expecting it to mean Cadd9 is confusing, and I have never seen this except from beginners and people who are unfamiliar with writing chord charts.

But the Chord Editor is clear on this once the user understands that the second column refers only to the triad, rather than being a metaphor for chord spellings.

If you type ‘C9’ into the chord track’s chord editor the resulting chord spelling is correct, thank goodness. (And Cadd9 is also wrong, imo, it should be Cadd2- but that is a matter of opinion!)

I’m most definitely a beginner, that makes it even more confusing :slight_smile:
I agree, it does make more sense when you “build” the chord following the order of the columns.

:slight_smile: