Chord playback problem on strings

Anyone seen this before?

When playing back a chord on any member of the violin family, only a single note is respected for the full duration. All other notes get played only briefly, at the beginning of the chord.

Example: https://stash.miloonline.net/dorico/violin_chords_bad_playback.mp4

This is happening only for the violin family. Chords are playing back fine for all of my Spitfire wind, brass, and percussion instruments, as well as my harp.

In all cases of correct and incorrect playback, all notes of a chord use the same voice.

the obvious assumption is that you’re using the legato patch as these are monophonic in Spitfire (at any rate in the BBC SO). You need to check your Expression Map as legato does not necessary tie in with a slur in the score.

1 Like

The BBC SO does play polyphonicaly as I have it and most of the time it works but sometimes this does happen. Sometimes one voice plays ok but the second just does a short staccato note. Have you gone into the settings and made sure the maximum amount of voices can sound? When I got mine it was set very low and I increased it to the max possible of 64. This seems to help most of the time.

dko22 wrote:

the obvious assumption is that you’re using the legato patch as these are monophonic in Spitfire (at any rate in the BBC SO).

Thanks, yeah. I’m using Spitfire Symphony Orchestra (not BBC SO), but that was indeed the issue. I had the “Performance Legato” patch loaded, and if I had RTFM then I would have learned that it’s monophonic, just as you wrote.

I switched it out for a different sample, and it plays properly, now. Thanks again!