Chord symbol alterations - size of

The 6/9 is certainly too small IMO too. I also don’t care for the slash. (It’s not a fraction or a “slash chord”) I have my own chord library set up like this:

You can pretty easily make a global change to the 69 definition though.

1. Go to Engraving Options / Chords / Project Default Appearances / Edit

2. Enter any 69 chord and hit +. The root doesn’t matter, you just need something there so you can edit the suffix.

3. Click the 69, then make sure it is selected in blue underneath in the row of available suffixes, and hit the Edit Component pencil

4. You are now in the Edit Chord Symbol Component window where you can make a global change to the 69 suffix, so make any changes you want now. If you want your changes to be global, make sure you make all edits in this window and not the previous one which will only be specific to that particular root. One warning though - unfortunately this window is quite buggy and not WYSIWYG so it will likely take a bit of trial and error to figure out the settings you need to get the correct result. For example, to get the correct spacing shown above, I needed to space the glyphs like this in the Edit Chord Symbol Component window:

5. Hit OK to go back to the Project Default Chord Symbol Appearances window. If it looks ok, great, if not hit the Edit Component pencil again and try some other settings. Remember not to make edits in the Project Default Chord Symbol Appearances window if you want your edits to be global.

6. After the 69 positioning looks correct, you can even delete the specific root from Project Default Chord Symbol Appearances. All you needed was a way to edit the suffix.

You can of course add all roots and click the Save as Default button to have these settings saved in your userlibrary.xml file. If you’re up for some more advanced hackery, you can save these specific settings in a doricolib file too, so it will affect all new files created from File/New and you won’t have specific chord overrides. (Among other things, you can’t add parentheses to chords with overrides, so I find the doricolib way is preferrable if possible.)

4 Likes