Chord symbol C4 instead of Cadd4?

Hello,

I try to find the place, where I can adjust a Cadd4 chord symbol to be displayed as C4 superscript.
Somehow there is no place for this in the Engraving Options, but I might be blind here…
Any help appreciated.

In Engraving Options—Chord Symbols, scroll all the way to the bottom. “Project Default Appearances.” You can customize chords as needed.

hello Dan,

thank you for your reply.
This is exactly where I spent my last hour, without success though:

I deleted all the unnecessary bits, Applied and also Saved as Default.
But nothing has changed in the score:

Halleluja.png

I experimented a bit further:

Strange thing though: before, when I entered Shift+Q, C4, Enter - I would get C(add4)

Now, when I enter Shift+Q, C4, Enter - I get nothing.
But, when I enter Shift+Q, Cadd4, Enter - I do get C4.
Still, when I enter Shift+Q, Cadd4/F, Enter - I do get C(add)4/F.
So far, I can’t get, what I want…

This is confusing, why is there no setting in the global Engraving options for this case?
in Sibelius one would use ‘legacy chord symbols’ - if I remember correctly :wink:
Halleluja C4 F.png

The third scenario you described is strange, since I’m able to get the chord exactly as you desire, either by typing Csus4 or Csus4/F. I “taught” Dorico that Csus4 should return C4, so I get both C4 and C4/F.

That’s correct you won’t get anything for C4, since you haven’t defined that expression, so Dorico doesn’t recognize it as a valid chord input.

Previously, Dorico tried to “help” because it thought C4 should be Csus4. But you’ve overriden that.

To get C4/F, have you investigated the settings for bass alterations? Perhaps an option there.

Of course Csus4 is not the same as C(add4).
If one is going to put the F in the bass, C/F might work just as well.

Arg, I did get jumbled up between add and sus. Oops.

That was my thought as well. Even granting that there are lots of different preferences regarding chords, “C4” to me doesn’t seem the clearest way to notate “Cadd4.” Its counterpart, C2, is typically shorthand for Csus2 (hence my mixup).

Thank you Dan. I had a look into chord symbols definitions (new to me).
Can one assume:
Cadd4 means a C-Major chord with an added F
Csus4 is a clearer definition, as it shows the function of the F as a suspended note, waiting to be released into the E (third).
I think in simple pop music notation people don’t care about the specifics and tend to just write C4.
And if the F is the bass note it does not really make sense to write C4/F instead of just C/F.
Still I have to copy my above example where both variants follow each other C4/F C/F …
It is probably just a bad notation…

I got it to work. Firstly I did a Reset to Factory in the Engrave Mode Chord Sysmbol settings - with the help of the alt-key.
Since I have just learnt that Cadd4 and Csus4 is almost the same thing I went into the sus area of the Chord Symbol settings:

Now I get this result when typing Shift+Q, csus4/f, Enter:

Just one question remains: why does the Chord Symbol Popover does not accept a plain ‘c4’ anymore? Nothing happens - where can I reset this?
c4 f, c f.png
Settings.png

It would be beneficial to have a separate section of engraving rules for SUS and ADD. In my music I am frequently using both SUS4, and ADD4 chords, which are very similar, but they are not synonymous.
Right now I have to add a lot of custom chord adjustments for each tonality and inversions (lots of permutations!)
My dream setup would be to have the ADD4 and ADD2 show up as just 4 and 2, and SUS chords left as they are in the engraving options (my preference is to use sus for sus4 and sus2 for sus2)

If I would use only ADD chords I could cheat and input sus4 chords to show up as only 4, but then I am losing the ability to actually use sus4 chords.
I can use also add2 and add4 notation, and it is my preference for easy chords.
But if we add other things to the chord they become monsters with huge horizontal spill, like Ab^add2/C. In this situation I have to reluctantly search for a shorthand for ADD chords, as I stated earlier.

All the best to the community and the developers!