Chord Symbol Repeat Sign

Is it possible to add a Chord Symbol Repeat Sign like the attached example ?

Dorico 1.1 - Mac OS 10.12.6
iMac 2015 - 3,3GHz 32GB ram
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 17.12.25.png

You can add it using Shift+X text by copying and pasting the appropriate symbol from this page. Be sure to set the character style to ‘Music text’ using the control in the top right-hand corner of the text editing popover.

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel

This surely does the trick, but let me insist on the need for a repeat chord symbol (“%”) in the chord symbol popover. It would be a true time saver.

3 Likes

+1, I agree this would be a very useful feature.

2 Likes

Hi,
is this still the only way to do this?
thanks

Yep.

This is still the only way? Well, the Github reference is 404 now. As a jazz composer I feel like a minority interest :-).

1 Like

Try this page instead.

Thanks. Now to work out what Daniel said above. The % as a choice is a basic need for arrangers and ‘light music (sic)’ composers. It could even be in Repeat Structures! I suspect the people who didn’t think to provide it are the same people who thought it necessary to include a description of what ‘chords’ are! Thanks, I’ll try it.

2 Likes

Hi. It seems to work ( I see that shift-X is the Text input popover) though Music Text has to be checked every time. It IS possible to Copy and Paste which is good and saves time, but it needs to be input on every rhythm (or soloist) track that are allocated the chords symbols, unlike the actual symbols themselves. - unless I am missing something? Thanks.

New features have come out since the original posting. You can create a custom line to do this now too, especially if you want it centered between the barlines.

2 Likes

You can also type this pretty easily using MusGlyphs.com.

1 Like

Btw, despite all the great workarounds/creative solutions, I still think having a native solution would be awesome, since obviously this would allow for local chord symbols, regions and all the other good stuff…

Just my 2c,
Benji

4 Likes

Thanks both. Both are obviously fixes for a problem, but I’m sure it’ll be in the TO DO list… :slightly_smiling_face:

This is frankly UNACCEPTABLE. These symbols are ESSENTIAL to all modern music composers. I paid for a software and i feel like a beta tester.

Welcome to the forum, Riccardo. I’m sorry that you find this state of affairs unacceptable. All (actively-developed) software is a work in progress, and you will hopefully find many other things in Dorico allow you to work more quickly and with greater flexibility that outweigh the inconvenience of having to create these repeat signs by hand for the time being.

Sorry, but it’s been 4 years since this discussion. This is not a bug. It is an essential and basic feature. How can it be so difficult to convert the character “%” written in the input chord dialog in that symbol?

1 Like

Well, knowing how the development process goes here, that repeat sign would be semantic, not merely graphical.

Counterpoint: how difficult is it at present to insert this as a glyph?

1 Like

Also please note that the % repeat symbol is properly centered on the bar, which the line workaround does – not on the beat like a regular chord symbol. How would you expect the chord functionality to suddenly be able to align one object differently than all the others?