Chord symbols beneath the stave for folk musicians

The attached is a single part taken from a Sibelius arrangement. It was easy to re-set chord symbol; position in Sibelius but i have yet to conquer this in Dorico. Folk musicians insist on chords below the stave I am afraidFandango.melodypdf.pdf|attachment (34.8 KB)

1 Like

Your graphic didn’t seem to load correctly. Can you try reposting it?

I still can’t see your graphic so I’m not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but AFAIK there’s no way to automate this in Dorico. There’s no “below” setting and the “Ideal distance above staff” won’t accept a negative value. You can however select all the chords in the project and modify the Y value of the Start Offset property in Engrave mode, to move them all down by a certain amount. You may need to then use Select More to tweak the positioning on a system-by-system basis, but if this is what you are going for, then it should work without too much hassle:

Thanks for coming to the forum @chainhouse - please do have another go uploading your screenshot, and please do share any other examples you know of where chord symbols are shown below the staff. The team is interested as the general consensus otherwise is above the staff.

That is funny : I can perfectly see the picture in the first post…

Oddly enough, after your post I decided to check on my iPhone. I can see it there, but still can’t see it on my desktop. Oh well. I still can’t think of another solution other than moving them in Engrave. Very simple diatonic chords like the posted example could possibly be typed in as lyrics I suppose too.

1 Like

When I was young, I played in a salon orchestra as a guitarist and all the old French lead sheets had the chords below the system and also in absolute solfège notation. This is obviously against convention and caused me some problems at first, but this type of chord notation actually exists in the French-speaking world. I found a picture on the internet, but would still have thick folders of such notation in the basement somewhere.

A negative value works for me: you have to set both these values:

1 Like

Now that I see this, I remembered the John Mehegan books use a similar style too. Sometimes below the staff, sometimes numeric analysis in the staff, below, or just own its own. His first book from 1959 is relatively important from a pedagogical standpoint as it was one of the first books to teach jazz improvisation. My copy is the 1992 revision, but here are a couple of pages showing some of his chord styles. (sorry for the crummy cell pics)

The “image” file in the first post is a PDF. If you can’t see it, right click and select ‘open in new tab’. That worked for me.

1 Like

Yep, this is the easiest solution. I had only set the top value to negative, and set the bottom to 0 instead of negative.

Thank you so much to you all for this info. I am very happy as it works!
Lin

Hello everybody. I had made the same request from version 2 of Dorico, because many Italian pop music pieces are written with accirdo symbols under the staff.

to do this I use the procedures described here, but I have to spend a lot of time to arrange graphically.

a chord symbol feature below the staff would be great for me