Chord Track and VariAudio questions

I’m still on 6.5, and the Chord Track and its relationship with VariAudio seems to be the feature I would most like to use…if it works in the way I’m hoping.

I get several artists who bring over background instrumentals, and want to record themselves singing over em. Some of them are good but not perfect, so I use VariAudio here n there to make em smile :slight_smile: Sometimes VariAudio’s Pitch Quantize (in 6.5) flubs when it pulls a note to the nearest pitch, but goes the WRONG way, based on the scale. I know its technically the vocalists fault, but…

My question is, will Chord Track READ the audio file and establish the chords within the project? When I go into Variaudio 2.0, can I then see which notes fit and dont fit that chord/scale? Will the Quantize Pitch function automatically pull the note to the nearest note IN THE SCALE?

Last question, if Chord Track does read/pull chords from audio files, how good of a job does it do?

THANKS!!! :mrgreen:

The chord track does not calculate chords from audio files.

Yay…less impressed by C7’s features every time I ask :stuck_out_tongue:

Thx for ur response though!!

Do you know what the chord track does do?

I know it can change MIDI data to conform, and audio can be manipulated to fit the Chord Track…but what u’re saying is that it cant READ music, correct?

I was hoping it could, as VariAudio can analyze a…WAIT! …Can I analyze these instrumentals with VariAudio 2.0??! :smiley: Doesn’t it now read/allow polyphonic signals?

Thanks!

I dont believe so.

The chord track can read polyphonic midi tracks and derive the chords (well what it thinks are the chords, which may differ from what you think they are due to differing musical vs programmatic interpretation). But as said, it can’t read polyphonic audio or any audio for that matter.

You could use Melodyne to convert polyphonic audio into midi tracks and then use those to generate a chord track which in turn would control your variaudio… But in the few times I’ve attempted to use Melodyne to generate midi notes it’s not been terribly good so I’ve always found it quicker and more accurate to use my ears and either play in the chords on a keyboard or edit the chord track to enter the chords manually.

There may also be some freebie download apps which produce midi from a polyphonic audio file, years ago I tried one and it worked OK, probably about as good as Melodyne I’d say.

Mike.

^^^

Thinking about it, I’d probably just prefer to use my ears and have a guitar in hand, like u said.

So once I know the chords, would I then enter them into Chord Track, and would it THEN help me with VariAudio significantly? Would VA’s Pitch Quantize only quantize to allowable pitches in the established chord? Or would VA at least indicate somehow (with colors perhaps) which notes are allowable in a given chord/scale?

THANKS!! :mrgreen:

So once I know the chords, would I then enter them into Chord Track, and would it THEN help me with VariAudio significantly? Would VA’s Pitch Quantize only quantize to allowable pitches in the established chord? Or would VA at least indicate somehow (with colors perhaps) which notes are allowable in a given chord/scale?

Yes, once you have the chords laid out.
I did this last night as an alternative to just using pitch correct.
If you can play by ear and figure the chords out quickly it is pretty sweet.
I had three vocals originally all singing unison.
Once they were analyzed by variaudio, I set them to “single voice” in the inspector chord track section.
I chose a different voice for each track. Soprano, Alto and Tenor.
The soprano voice was way above the original pitch and sounded very artificial.
Once it was lowered in the mix it fit in just fine though.
The nice thing about this method is that you still have control over the variaudio settings.

Anyway…
Instant 3 part harmonies that follow the chords exactly.
There were also some adlibs that I set to the “bass voice.”
Sounded very robotic but very cool.

What I was also kinda hoping was that VariAudio would somehow COLOR or indicate which notes are usable and which aren’t, based on the chord.

So again, if I enter a chord in Chord Track, and Quantize Pitch in VariAudio, it will quantize the audio to the nearest “correct” note? Just want to double check… :sunglasses:

THANKS!!!