Chrash while starting: Audio engine process died

I guess the reason is something with the eLicenser. I moved the license from the soft-eLicenser to the dongle. Often Dorico will not start since then. I got an error which says something like “soft-eLicenser is not reparable”… Since I have no license on that I removed it from the computer. After a restart Dorico worked. But when I tried to open another file it crashes. No restart is possible. It ends up with the message “Audio engine process died”. Restart, works, but only with one file. Closing it and open another one is impossible.

Very strange.
First thing I’d like to ask, are you on Win or Mac?
The fact that Dorico does start up shows that a valid license was recognized.
And when you open a second document it always crashes? What does it say in that moment? Do you get any crash dumps that you could send us?

Win 10.

At the moment yes.

Either a typical win-message (“Dorico funktioniert nicht mehr…”)

Or: when I try it around the 3rd time something like:

"eLicenser Fehler
Applikation ’ [nothing here!] ’ hat den folgenden Fehler verursacht:
Ein wichtiger Service reagiert nicht mehr.
Bitte starten Sie ihren Computer neu um dieses Problem zu beheben.
Falls das Problem bestehen bleibt, dann besuchen Sie bitte <www.eLicenser.net> um die aktuelle Version der eLicenser-Control-Software herunterzuladen und zu installieren. "

Or: “Audio engine process died” (in the start pop up) - but I cannot reproduce this error today. Then nothing more happens. The pop up stays as it is and I have to kill Dorico and the VST process in the task manager manually.

Of course, here are the last 3 ones. And from a little earlier moment the VST-crash-dumps.

Thank you for your help.
CrashDumpsVST.zip (486 KB)
CrashDumps.zip (1.01 MB)

I had to move “vstconnectpro.bundle” away from Library - Application support - Steinberg - components and now Dorico starts perfectly.

Yes, we know that, but it happens with only very old versions of vstconnectpro, any up to date installation of vstconnectpro shall be fine. Furthermore, with such old vstconnectpro bundle in place, Dorico resp. the audio engine wouldn’t start at all, leaving you with a complete useless system.

Thanks for the data. I need to analyze it when I’m back in the office on Monday, so please be a little patient. Thank you for your understanding.

It’s fine. I can use the program after restarting the computer. And I have a working installation on my laptop.

Hi Peter,

so looking closer at the crash dumps, indeed it looks like a faulty plug-in is bringing down the audio engine.

To identify which plug is causing trouble, could you please do the following?
Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Shared Components, you will find some DLLs in there (including HALion Sonic SE). Make a copy of the Shared Components folder, then delete everything from the original folder (except for HALion Sonic SE) and start Dorico again. Does Dorico (+audio engine) now behave normally?

If it does, copy the DLLs one by one back to Shared Components and each time restart Dorico. If it starts crashing again, you know that the last copied DLL is the troublemaker.

As mentioned in a previous posting, VstConnect is a strong contender for trouble making, but could be also other plug-ins. If none of the plugs of the Shared Components folder make trouble, we need to go through a couple of other locations.

Cheers,
Ulf

In C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Shared Components is nothing but the HALion Sonic SE folder.

Okay, I would have bet pretty much on that the culprit is in that directory; good that I didn’t…

Then please temporarily rename the folders C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 to something else and then start Dorico. Still the crashing issue?

If so, please zip up the folder C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64 and post here.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 doesn’t exists on my system. Renaming VST3 had no success, Dorico still crashes when I try to open a second file.

Here is the zipped C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64 folder.
VSTAudioEngine_64.zip (241 KB)

Hm, then it is not what I think it would be.

So Dorico works fine as long as you have only one project open and crashes as soon as you load a second, right?
Is it regardless of how that second project looks like?
What if you create two very simple projects, let’s say just two Piano pieces with a handful of arbitrary notes. Restart Dorico, then load one and then the other. Still crash?

Also, could you look out for new crash dumps. At least the dumps of the VSTAudioEngine, that you sent before, are not related to the crashing while loading the second project, because they point to the start up of the engine, and we don’t start up the engine again when a new project gets loaded.

Voilá.
CrashDumps.zip (1.88 MB)