Chromatic Transposition

Hello,

This is a basic question, but I cannot figure out the easiest way To transpose this to simple chord progression to other keys, I just want to transpose the chord progression one whole step/tone up at a time.

It seems I need to select the key signature along with notes Otherwise, transposed key signatures is dimmed.

1. Can anybody show me how to do this please?
  2. Also, how to do this transposition chromatically Without the “transpose his signature”?

Use system track and select both bars (1 & 2). System track appears and disappears with alt-T (option-T). FWIW, it’s already on in your picture (the grey rectangles above the staff, they turn orange when you select them, and perform the selection once you press the square button at their right) Then use the transpose… tool.

You could select the notes, then shift-i Amin to Bmin

In the first example the second chord is spelled wrong. In A minor it should be G♯ (like the third chord) not A♭. This will make a bigger difference as you transpose it to other keys.

@Mark_Johnson Mybad! I meant: ii°7 . So it is A♭ :slight_smile:
Thank you for pointing this out.

Well, not realy. The progression is i, ii°7, V, i.

Using functional harmony in minor, ii°7 chord has pre-dominant function. which can go to dominant group ( vii° or V7). Both ii° and vii°image can go to V7 the chord after. So, either way it is correct. I like ii°7 better as it is simpler to write and understand:) Thank you for the feedback.

No, sir. With A♮ it would be a ii chord. With G♯ it is a vii° chord with the 3rd in the bass.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I am not sure I understand what you mean by this. When press the little orange ( with white border) on the right, nothing happens!

Which button is selected here? the one on the left?

The manual for the iPad version doesn’t have the same figures.

I select bar 3 and 4 ( the system track turns orange at 3 and 4). But when I transpose +2. All the bars from begining to end changes to B minor :frowning:

I’m sorry, but since we’re harping on this … just because the bass is B doesn’t make it a ii chord. A diminished 7th on B (with A♭) would be vii° of C. B resolves up to C and the A♭ resolves down to G.

In the key of A minor G♯ is the leading tone. A♭ has no place in this key unless you’re modulating somewhere else. Imagine what it will look like when you transpose to B♭ minor.

2 Likes

Hi @Chikitin beyond the useful suggestions above, I made a short video to show the procedure. I hope it can be of some help. :slight_smile:

This works also on iPad. If you don’t have a keyboard, instead of pressing R to repeat the selected objects, you can press the icon image
and for adding the key signatures to the selection press the image icon and press on the key signature (or you can drag a big rectangle that includes the key signature an the desired notes)

2 Likes

Thank you so much, as usual.

A pointer ( maybe obvious for many) for iPad users, we should use the “add to selection” icon to add the flag/time signatures to the selected notes.

I was assuming “Transpose Key Signature” is intelligent enough, so the we don’t need to use “Calculate interval”. Without utilzing it, after transposing key signature, Dorico places a funny key signature with F double sharp ( Fx, C#, G# D# A# E# B#) that I suppose should not be allowed! I would like to know when this kind of key sinature is used? if never, I suppose it should not be placed in our score.

You are welcome!

I was specifying this at the end of my post as text (as I noticed after making the video that you were using the iPad version).

Well I am not sure which tonality this would be :laughing:, but Chopin uses “imaginary” tonalities sometimes (and even Bach, but I cannot find an example right now…(*1) . Here a nice passage in D# Major ! (Chopin, Piano Concerto e-minor, Larghetto) :slight_smile:
(D# Major being the secondary-dominant -Doppeldominante- of G# Major that is the arpeggiation to the III #3 of E Major)

(*1) EDIT: found !! (Bach, WTK II, Prelude XVII). This is for a short time Bbb Major (“Neapolitan key” of Ab):smiley::

Thank you Christian. Great examples. As you pointed out, the scale is G# major.

G major : F#, C, G, D, A, E, B
now G# major would sharping all them
G# major : F##(x), C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#

I just learned that these key signature are theoretical. Here is an example modulation from Ab to G#. See page 166 of *A World Requiem (1921) by * John Foulds listen to it on youtube.

1 Like

Or, as I first wrote, use system text. I did not realize you were using the iPad version, but it doesn’t change what I said about it. When you “click” on the square to the right of the system track’s rectangle, everything under the orange rectangles get selected. And I mean everything (that is visible — that’s an important limitation you need to know when working with Dorico, hence the importance of having signposts visible when performing such operations), including chord symbols, key signatures, meter, etc…
It’s just another method for selection.

1 Like

Thank you @MarcLarcher That should work on desktop. However, as I mentioned the little square is not clickable. These inconsistencies are annoying.

Thank you again.

I’ve tried it on my iPad, and indeed it’s clickable, and turns everything that should be selected orange, i.e. selected. If it does not work on your machine, maybe there’s some debugging to do (I have a 2021 13" iPad pro).
NB: after giving it some thought, I tried it with the Apple Pencil, and it works as you described. You should use your fingers, sorry :person_shrugging:

Thank you very much. I am on iPad Pro gen 4 (March 25, 2020!) did you try tapping with your fingers? I don’t get a while square as in the manual page ( Dorico on Desktop).

Yes I tried it. I don’t get a white square, but what I need to be selected gets selected.