Cinematic Studio Series + Dorico

I’ve communicated with the CS people and am told that their libraries are designed to work with DAWs not notation softwares, and a disclaimer that what other companies may be doing it’s all about DAW as far as they are concerned

I know that their libraries work in NotePerformer and ultimately that’s what I will do, but I’m wondering if anyone uses them directly in Dorico?

Hi @bluekayak88 I use Cinematic Studio Series Libraries with Note performer 4 Note Performer Playback Engine (you need to activate the CSS libraries buying the extra NPPE add-on directly in NPPE interface). It works splendidly with Dorico! (and you can test it for free for one-hour long sessions)

In Dorico, the expression maps support a delay setting per articulation: this fact, I think, make the CSS series very much usable in Dorico (permitting a compensation for the relative long delays in their legatos). If you use NPPE you don’t have to think about that at all: it just works relly good!

I was curious whether it would work in Dorico without NotePerformer not sure why

But I think I just need to get Noteperformer and move ahead

This one falls under general comments

There are other companies that don’t explicitly say their libraries won’t work in notation, but only talk about them in relation to DAW

Then there are all those libraries for which there’s no playback engine written for NotePerformer

Then there’s the odd stipulation for ex to turn off VST3 something or other etc

All in all too many acronyms and mysterious moving parts for unfortunates like myself who lack the appetite and/or aptitude for it

In my mind it should all be as simple as kids picking teams on the playground, like I want you(CSS) for 1st violins, you (intimate piano) for piano etc

The problem with the Dorico delay setting per articulation is that it doesn’t currently handle delay of MIDI CC’s. The CC’s end up also requiring delay adjustments, otherwise they will be too late. For libraries that have a lot of latency like Cinematic Studio Series, you may have to place the dynamics a full beat before where you actually want them to happen so they aren’t too late. This may mean funny notation things like putting dynamics under rests etc so that it happens before an entry.

When Steinberg adds that functionality to Dorico it should make Cinematic Studio Series one of the best libraries to use in Dorico, otherwise you are best off mostly using libraries that need a smaller delay.

Ops sorry, I misunderstood your request.

But generally I would say: Note performer is a must have anyway in my opinion (so easy to use, and also because CSS doesn’t cover percussions jet), and for 89€ circa, you can use it with CSS, and you save so much time in settings etc.)

I’ve been using CSS inside of Dorico for a few years now with my own custom Expression Maps, and it works just fine. The maps are fairly straight forward because of the small number of articulations. However, I am now using the library with NotePerformer and NPPE and find it to be more expressive, so I agree with Christian that that’s the way to go. I also purchased CSBrass and CSWoodwind, and so my NotePerformer template is mainly CS stuff, and I’m very happy. I have switched from using VSL VI libraries which don’t work with NP.

Thanks that is all very helpful info

A friend had talked up NotePerformer but I was holding back til I understood what I was getting into and wondering about compatibility w other non-NotePerformer libraries

I’ve also been eyeing the cinematic studio series and it’s a shame they haven’t done the percussion library yet as that would round things out other than a piano and some odd instruments

apparently will be at least another year for the percussion library

If anyone has percussion library recommendations I’m all ears

Does NotePerformer’s NPPE support any (unpitched) percussion libraries, even as a subset of an instrumental library they support? I would think that would be a major challenge considering the nature of percussion instruments, but if NP does not do it already, that could be a major coup for @Wallander & Co. down the road.

Yes it does support some unpitched percussion libraries.

I can only endorse what @Grainger2001 has said. I used all the Cinematic Studio libraries as my primary orchestral template for a while using my own maps and was generally happy with the results. As the articulation range is not that extensive, the maps are reasonably simple to create – the main issue is deciding between keyswitch CC’s and standard keyswitches – in general the former seem to work better. With current versions of the woodwind and string libraries, the latency shouldn’t be exaggerated, though if mixing with other libraries, it may be necessary to set a global offset or use a Kontakt script which deals with this automatically (though I’ve found the popular one from Alex Vincent can cause stuck notes in busy passages)

Using NPPE, the results are more expressive and musical, The timing issues are reduced but do exist, particularly in situations of mixed note value legatos where you sometimes need to make manual corrections. This is hardly onerous, though.

Most library vendors pretend their libraries don’t work in notation software but few have made a serious investigation of Dorico’s abilities – when I was in touch with CSS, they admitted as much and were just playing safe with their disclaimers.

2 Likes

To add some information over what @mducharme has written, Spitfire Orchestra NPPE supports Spitfire Joby Burgess Percussion (for which I’ve made an extensive set of Percussion maps etc…)
I haven’t tested it fully, but used it once or twice and it seemed to work as expected :person_shrugging:

1 Like