Cinesamples Awarded $379,050 in Digital Piracy Case

Still up in the air whether or not they will be able to collect, and how much, but a good story, nonetheless.

Bet he’s gutted. Still it made me smile, cant all be bad.

Thanks for posting this. So this guy owns Ice Samples. Its pretty likely that sample sets he’s selling are ripped from somewhere else. I often wonder about this whem I’m buying samples from a company I’ve never heard of. Mostly its through sales and such but I’ll bet this goes on a lot. I think Ilio was proven to have sold samples they’d lifted from identifiable records such as the Amen break.

Link does not load :frowning:
Summary?

Why not? Are you getting an error? Where are you?

Here is the article:

Los Angeles. On March 9, 2012, in a judgment given by Federal District Court Judge Dolly M. Gee of the U.S. District Court of Central California, Cinesamples LLC, a California corporation was awarded $379,050 in damages and lost profits plus attorney fees against Pablo Vargas Casas, a resident of Chile, on three causes of action: violation of the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act), copyright infringement, and breach of contract.

According to the Court’s civil minutes, in June 2011, Mr. Casas, “used Internet discussion boards to organize a group purchase of a single license for the CineBrass software library.” On June 15, 2011, Mr. Casas purchased for download the CineBrass library for $399 U.S.D. at which point Mr. Vargas agreed to a software licensing agreement.

After downloading the CineBrass program, Mr. Casas altered the software housing the CineBrass sample library, the Native Instruments Kontakt player, which then permitted unlicensed versions of the software to be distributed to multiple users. Mr. Casas then uploaded both the “cracked” Kontakt software and the complete CineBrass library to several illicit file sharing web sites, resulting in approximately 950 potential purchasers and unlicensed users downloading the library.

According to his Linked In profile, Mr. Casas lists as his skills, Scripts Programming Platform native Instruments Kontakt 4 Composer Quiropterología. He attended Universidad Autónoma de Temuco from 2008-2011, and the Universidad de Los Lagos from 1995-1999. Mr. Casas lists himself as the proprietor of iCeSamples.

According to his Facebook profile, Mr. Casas has done work for the Orquesta Barcelona.

Because Mr. Casas did not appear in court to defend himself, Judge Gee awarded Cinesamples with a default judgment based on the list price of the program times the number of downloads. Court minutes did not state which Internet discussion boards Mr. Vargas posted to.

Way back, around the year 1999 or so, I saw a listing in eBay for the Miroslav Vitous orchestral samples which at the time were the state of the art and cost several thousand dollars. The guy in the listing only wanted like $75. Like the novice I was, I bought them, but when I got the discs it was clear they had been copied – the labels had obviously been done on somebody’s home printer. So I contacted the Vitous people, and Ebay (who of course did nothing) and also deleted the samples from my drive. I never used them. God will reward me :laughing:

twilightsong

God will reward me > :laughing:

“No good deed shall go unpunished” :frowning: :wink: