Circle of fifths/Proximity bug

Hello,

since 0.20 C major gets displayed as B# in the circle of fifths & promixity tab. Going back to 0.10 fixes this and just checked again after reinstalling 0.20 again, it goes back to B#

Confirmed here. I can’t really make sense of the logic used for enharmonic spellings here, in this case.

Enharmonics seem hard to get right, I think every patch had a bug so far.

This is new with the last update. In version 8.X, a C Major 7 on the chord track, when dragged to an instrument or midi track displayed Cmaj7. Now it says B#maj7. There are other issues similar issues as well. See attached screen shot which shows a few of the errors I’ve found so far. The PDF detailing the update history says the enharmonics were improved, but I think something’s gone wrong.

I wonder if a reset of Preferences will correct this? I don’t want to do that without knowing that doing so will correct this.

I toggled and restarted the program with and without the Preferences for enharmonics engaged and the problem appears regardless of the Preference settings I use. (At least as far as I’m able to determine at this point.)

Cubase provides a truly amazing set of composing and arranging tools, but, oddly, as I see it, Cubase doesn’t support one of the most most basic, the most elementary (elemental) concepts in music theory-*. Until Cubase provides Flat Keys and Sharp Keys in both Major Keys and their Relative Minor keys for the these – Root Key, Key Editor, Chord Track, Chord Pads, List Editor, and Drum Editor, I don’t think I can consider it a fully professional program. As good as it all is, because of this deficiency, I have to give Cubase a B- rating in how Cubase treats Keys and Note Names in those places named. Score Editor’s better handling of notes and keys only adds to the confusion. That makes my overall rating of the program B-. If this is corrected, then A if not A+.

With Standard Sharp/Flat Keys and Notes as mentioned, Cubase would be – an undisputed Premier product for composers and arrangers; and an outstanding teaching tool for all levels of music. It’s not right. Please, Fix It! :slight_smile:

Thank you.

*-Paul Hindemith: Elementary Training For Musicians, see sections on Keys and note naming conventions – Elementary Training For Musician | Musicroom.com

P.S. Where can I get a Cubase T-shirt? :slight_smile:

I think if you put both Chord & Key Events on the Chord Track it does a better* job of getting the enharmonics right.

• not to be confused with fully correct

I’ve tried various settings in Preferences to no avail. Maybe working with Root Key would help? I typically don’t use that, but I didn’t test this issue with a Root Key set. I wasn’t this way in 9.01. Something got broken and I don’t think a Reset of Preferences is going to correct it. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cubase provides a really excellent set of features, but there’s this issue with the enharmonics. I just don’t see why it can’t be corrected? If so much can be done with the impressive scale set, voicing styles, chord pads, chord track, and so on, why can’t the program provide standard Flat and Sharp Keys? It would make things so much better for musicians of all types from beginners to the most advanced or mature. :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is a real stone in my shoe. :cry:

The enharmonic errors are present in the Chord Assistant as well. So, it shows a common Cadence as, for example, Dminor, G7, B#; G Minor, C7, E# Major, and so on.

Please correct this. Even if you can not provide standard Flat Keys and Flat Notes, Sharp Keys and Sharp Notes, at least make Cubase’s enharmonics interpretation as good as it was in Ver 8. The Enharmonics were imperfect but certainly better in Version 8.

Thank you.

I just updated from Cubase 7 to Cubase Pro 9.0.20 and have the same problem with Cycle of Fifths/Proximity/ and Chord
Assistant lists all using B# and E# instead of C and F. The chord pads seem to be okay.

Version 8.5.3 = no problem with B# / C or E# / F

Version 9.02 = problem