Classical Guitar Indications

Hi

In Dorico 3, how do you add a position number to the barre (C) or half-barre playing technique, please?

Looking round, I can see that some folk have created their own playing techniques. Can I ask how they have set up the correct font size as my initial trials (using roman numerals) trying various fonts are currently too big/small; I seem unable to specify font size at the point of creating the new PT??

Many thanks

I just used the default - ā€œplaying techniques fontā€. It looks fine
Barre.PNG

Thanks Dan, thatā€™s helpful. Does this mean that I cannot simply append a number to existing C and half-C symbols in the popover? Though I recognise that one could put free text next to it, once in place ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Iā€™m afraid that, for now at least, it does mean that: you will need to define new playing techniques based on the existing barre symbols that include the additional numbers. We plan to have a better way to do this in future, but for the time being this is the best way to do it.

HereĀ“s how I do it. I add my barre symbol (shift+p). Then I press Ctrl+8 and in the alternative text box, I write the position number in roman numerals. If I want to use the same position numbers again in my project, I just copy/paste.
Works pretty good!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I had been puzzling over this and now I have some useful options.

Fuzzface, how to you add extension lines?

Just select the notes before pressing shift+p. You can also edit the continuation lines in engrave mode/playing techniques.
ThereĀ“s a great video on youtube called ā€œPlaying Techniques Improvementsā€ that explains all this.

Thanks for that, Fuzzface - works well and easily.
Just off now to add a BartĆ³k pizz.(I do wish predictive text would stop changing this to pizza!!) to the guitar Playing Techniques.
Iā€™ll try to copy the violin one - unless thereā€™s a way to borrow it for guitar?

Dan S - I do like your image above but I have a couple of points -

1. I have a space between the C glyph and the start of the text but you donā€™t.
    How did you manage to remove that?

2. I note that using shift-X produces a slightly larger font than that of the glyph and ctlā€“8 text.
    Going to Engrave mode->Paragraph Styles->Default text and reducing the size by one ā€˜clickā€™ seems to have done the job.
    (Iā€™m not sure how to set this as a permanent default - perhaps it is already!)

I donā€™t use shift x at all. I created p.t.s for CI through CX and 1/2CI through 1/2 CXII. I also created p.t.s with just Roman numerals I through XIV for position indicators. I used Alt+0189 for the one-half symbols.

Good idea - I may well go for that.
Do you just put CI, CII ā€¦ or something like that for the term that comes up in the popover?
(Rather than have to go through the full barrƩ, half barrƩ option)

I do. You can label them anything you want.

Excellent

The way I have things set up currently is, as suggested, to use the Playing Techniques font to generate CI, CV etc. This results, though, in an object much smaller than the standard C glyph. (Other fonts are available!) Does anyone know if the glyph represents a standard size that is intended to ā€˜harmoniseā€™ with all the other default directions etc on the page i.e. should we aim to create PTs that are the same size as the default glyph in order to achieve optimum engraving?

Where does Dorico store the self created playing techniques? How do I transfer them to another computer? Or can somebody make those CI to CXII available in a file that can be imported in Dorico?

You can save the file theyā€™re in, and open it on another computer. Then select that PT, Edit it, and click ā€œSave as Defaultā€ to make it appear in all projects.

Same goes for the Dorico 3 folder, which is stored at the same location but named ā€œDorico 3ā€ rather than ā€œDorico 2ā€

Right, I use a big number for the Fret, and a smaller for the amount of strings the barre/finger should press, then a dotted line for the duration of the Barre.
Like C5 3ā€¦ (where 3 would be much smaller).

Iā€™m stunned that this feature is not part of Dorico with version 3. To say that you have guitar fingerings is mostly correct (by the way, you did a great job with both left hand, right hand and string notation). The job is not finished, though. I look forward to using Dorico once this feature is added. I should have known better and tested Dorico 3 before upgrading. Iā€™m not very happy with Steinberg claims that guitar notation was part of version 3 to find out that it is incompleteā€¦ Shame on me for trusting you folks.