Clavinova Voices in Dorico?

Hallo Welt!!
ich habe als Dorico-Neuling eine vielleicht einfache Frage, aber da ich nicht weiß, unter welchem Stichwort ich suchen muss. Ich bin nur ein kleiner Freizeit-keyboardspieler, der ein paar stücke in Dorico Elements bearbeiten und als Midi-Datei ins epiano via Yamaha Smart Pianist App importieren will.
Dazu würde ich im MIDI gerne die Originalklänge meines Yamaha CSP 170 verwenden, müsste sie also irgendwie in Dorico importieren. Die Voices liegen mir als Excel xml-File vor, aber wie kriege ich sie ins CSP?

Geht das? Und wenn ja, wie. Kann mir da vielleicht jemand weiterhelfen?

Hello World!!
As a newcomer to Dorico, I have a simple question, but because I don’t know what keyword to search for. I’m just a little hobby keyboard player who wants to edit a few pieces in Dorico Elements and import them as a midi file into the epiano via the Yamaha Smart Pianist app.
For this I would like to use the original sounds of my Yamaha CSP 170 in the MIDI, so I would have to import them into Dorico somehow. The Voices are available to me as an Excel xml file, but how do I get them into the CSP?

Is it possible? And if so, how. Can someone help me?

Greetings from northwest Germany

1 Like

Hi Reinhard, welcome to the forum.

I’m not really sure what you want to achieve, but it is not possible to import sounds of your Clavinova into Dorico. What you can do is, when playing back in Dorico let it stream MIDI data to your Clavinova, so you then hear the actual sound coming from your CSP.
Please clarify. Thanks

Hi Ulf,

danke für deine Nachricht!
Das Klavier ist wegen räumlicher Trennung zum PC nicht verbunden. Der Datentransfer erfolgt via iCloud als MIDI-File.
In Finale war/ist es möglich, durch Austausch einer Original-Datei gegen eine modifizierte, um die CSP-Voices ergänzte Datei, diese anschließend direkt als Instrument auswählen zu können, beispielsweise das CFX Grand oder Bösendorfer etc.
In Finale ist es die “General MIDI 1 and 2.midnam”-Datei, wodurch das ermöglicht wird. Darauf zielte meine Frage, ob, wo und wie das in Dorico auch möglich ist?

Thanks for your message!
The piano is not connected to the PC for spatial separation. The data transfer takes place via iCloud as MIDI file.
In Finale it was possible, by replacing an original file against a modified file supplemented to the CSP voices, then select them directly as an instrument, for example the CFX Grand or Bösendorfer etc.
In Final, it is the “General MIDI 1 and 2.Midnam” file, which enables it. Then my question aimed, whether, where and how that in Dorico is also possible?

Ah, now I understand. Well, under File > Export you can also do a MIDI-export in Dorico and I think it is also Genera-MIDI. But I don’t know how well suited it is for an import into your CLavinova. Maybe someone else here knows…

Obviously the simplest solution is attaching your Clavinova as a MIDI instrument. But if you want that the Clavinova can sound as an orchestra, the best solution would be having a General Midi instrument. Without it you have to do it by hand: any instrument selection should be made by the user. I have done it for some instrument and it’s possible, but not handy …

Hmmm, ich dachte, das Dorico die bessere Wahl für meinen Bedarf ist, wohl wissend, dass ich nur Bruchteile des Programms nutzen werde. Aber gerade weil Dorico so neu, umfangreich und vielschichtig ist, Steinberg sogar zum Yamaha-Konzern gehört, habe ich gehofft, dass die Integration originärer Yamaha-Sounds möglich ist, und zwar einfach und unkompliziert. Und was in Finale möglich ist, muss doch auch in Dorico möglich sein? Wenn noch nicht, wird es aber Zeit dafür :slight_smile:

Hmmm, I thought that Dorico is the better choice for my needs, knowing, that I will only use fractions of the program. But just because Dorico is so new, extensive and complex, Steinberg is even part of the Yamaha Group, I hoped that the integration of original Yamaha sounds is possible, simply and uncomplicated. And what is possible in Finale, must be possible in Dorico? If not, it will be time for it :slight_smile:

Thanks for your hint! Is there any documentation somewhere how such an integration works manually?

@reinhard.heller :slight_smile: , I described above the use of Clavinova connected to Dorico via USB using the Yamaha-Clavinova Windows MIDI Driver. In this case you can define your Dorico instrument as a MIDI Clavinova. It’s immediate having your Clavinova playing your Dorico Piano scores. If you want more instruments you have to insert the appropriate MIDI CCs in your MIDI tracks. This works if your Clavinova can be connected to your computer. I use a laptop for this, but there are quite long USB cables. By the way I also use my Clavinova for Dorico input, thus they must live quite near… :wink:

If you want your Clavinova playing your Dorico scores disconnected, it’s quite simple (but perhaps you already know how to do): you can export MIDI or Audio (not MP3) on an USB key, insert it in the Clavinova and press play! This works well for simple MIDI’s only, because General Midi instruments are not yet fully implemented, but the audio based on standard Dorico template works perfectly. For instance if you have scored a complete Piano Concert you can export it on Audio with the Piano set to zero Db in the mixer, then you can play the Clavinova with the Orchestra minus one! (If you are able to play in tempo that Concert obviously :wink: :slight_smile: However, if you are not yet able to play it, don’t set the Piano mixer to zero and you’ll have the complete concert in your Clavinova!)

I hope as well a greater integration between Yamaha and Dorico in the future, but when implemented it will be useful for a lot of external musical instruments based on existing standards.

Viele Grüße!

1 Like

Ich bin mir zu 100% Sicher, dass es auch in Finale nicht möglich ist, die Klänge deines Yamahas zu importieren, vor allem nicht durch den Austausch einer kleinen Datei. Die Klänge liegen im Keyboard als Audiodateien in einem ROM-Chip, sind in der Summe vermutlich einige Gigabyte groß, und Yamaha lässt es ziemlich sicher nicht zu, dass irgendein Anbieter die einfach so zum Gebrauch in seiner Software zur Verfügung stellt.

Was ich mir vorstellen kann, ist höchstens, dass diese Datei die Namen-Nummern-Zuordnung der GeneralMIDI Klänge von Finale so anpasst, dass du in Finale Klänge auswählst, die genau so heißen, wie sie im Keyboard benannt sind, und die gleichen internen Nummern verwenden, so dass, wenn du die erzeugte MIDI-Datei in das Keyboard zurückkopierst, das Keyboard dann wieder den selben Klang auswählt.

Finale spielt aber dennoch mit seinen eigenen General-MIDI Sounds, und die sind von der Qualität garantiert schlechter, als die im Keyboard.

Das kann man in Dorico vielleicht auch hinbekommen, aber es ist fraglich, ob das unbedingt nötig ist.

Am einfachsten ist es vielleicht, wenn du in Dorico nicht den HALION Player, sondern das simpelste General-MIDI PlugIn nimmst, denn die Klangnummern sind in GM ja standardisiert, und ich vermute, die Klangnummern im Yamaha folgen ebenfalls dem GM-Standard.

Könntest du denn einen Link zu einer Seite geben, wo das mit diesem Austausch der Datei in Finale erklärt wird?