Cleaning up ghost voices

When I turn on the IRV, Dorico tells me there’s a mysterious Downstem Voice 1 on Staff (a) (third from the top):

However, that’s news to me - I do not have anything in that voice on that staff. How can clean this up? Thanks!

It’s possible you called for this by accident somewhere, or you added the voice briefly and deleted it, but haven’t closed the project yet. Closing the file and reopening cleans up any empty voices. The reality is, it doesn’t much matter if you have that voice there.

I’ve selected all notes on the staff and converted them to Upstem Voice 1, just to be sure, and then applied the additional divisi voice all over again. However, this doesn’t help. Closing and reopening doesn’t seem to help either.

Perhaps I should delete all unison restores to see if that voice is hiding there somewhere there? I’d really like to figure where that voice is hiding. Hmmm… :thinking:

Turn on voice colors.

If you’re using independent voice routing, Dorico won’t delete empty voices in the way it otherwise would. If it wouldn’t cost you a lot to set up the routing for those independent voices again, you could disable independent voice routing, save the project, then reopen it, and re-enable independent voice routing and re-route the remaining voices.

3 Likes

Hi Daniel: Thank you for responding to this. I tried your suggestion and Dorico indeed deleted 2 out of several ghost voices (I even restarted the program). However, a single persistent voice still remains in 3 instruments and I think this means there are notes somewhere on those staves even though I can’t see them.

This reminds me of a post a long while ago about notes still sounding on hidden staves above/below.

Is it possible for notes to be hidden underneath “Restore Unison”? Many thanks!

It could be that if you have added extra staves to this instrument at some point, some notes are still lurking on those staves, even though the staves themselves are no longer shown.

1 Like

In case anyone might be interested in this, the process to clean up ghost voices is as follows:

1. Disable IRV playback
  2. Select contents of the staff and convert everything to Upstem Voice 1.
  3. Save
  4. Restart Dorico (in my case restarting project only didn’t work)
  5. Enable IRV playback again (I used this to check all ghost voices were gone)
  6. Re-apply the divisi voices where needed

This restores everything only to voices used in unison/divisi and even restores the original sequence of Dorico voice colors.

1 Like

Unfortunately this procedure did not work for me.

The only way to remove 3 ghost voices in a cello section with 4 functional divisi with IRV was to remove all unison bars in the section, add an additional cello with IRV with 4 divisi and copy paste all contents to the 4 staffs in the new instrument and recreate the unison sections. Subsequently deleting the troublesome cello part solved the issue…

I had browsed threads on the topic of “empty” or “obsolete” voices going back to 2016 till I found this one hidden under the name “cleaning up ghost” voices. Unfortunately, probably due to yet another way these voices were originally created, the proposed procedure also did not work.

Maybe a simple “Delete voice” option in the Edit menu, or better a right click “Delete voice” option in the Play mode when IRV is on should be put high on the wish list for a next Dorico version.