Clef and Transposition Overrides - grand staff limitations?

I’m trying to make 2 transposed parts from a marimba grand staff. So I want to change the bass staff to a treble staff transposing it up two octaves but keep the treble staff as is, but I’m not able to treat the two staffs differently. Is that a limitation in Dorico or do I not understand how to accomplish it?

I’m pretty sure the Clefs and Transposition Overrides dialog transposes the whole instrument by the same interval (which presumably you’d tried setting to C2, down near the bottom of the dialog).

You’ve not explained your use case terribly thoroughly, but if you’re working with a score that’s in concert pitch then you might be able to work around it like this:

1. Set your actual Marimba part to be in concert pitch, so that it’s unaffected by what comes next.
  2. In your other part layout - the one you’re using for transposition purposes - confirm that that’s set to transposed pitch.
  3. Enter a bass clef in your transposed part layout.
  4. With it still selected, right-click/Edit > Clef > Concert Pitch > Treble Clef.
  5. With the Set local properties switch at the far right of the properties panel set to Locally, set the Octave Shift property of the clef to -2.

Now you should have a score that still has the lower stave in bass clef, a Marimba part that still has the lower stave in bass clef, and a separate part layout (shown on the right here) that has the lower stave in treble clef up two octaves.

Ah, that’s neat Leo, thanks. My actual case was that I wanted a notation of the melody and bass lines from the marimba that can be used by Bb- and Eb-flat instruments in treble clef. I got around the problem as I could use two double bass parts so I had two instruments and then of course no problems with the transpositions and clef changes.

You could potentially do something like add instruments with the corresponding transpositions, then cue the marimba into each instrument? and set up cues so that bar rests aren’t shown, and their scale size is 100% (so they have full-sized notes rather than small notes).

Thank you Lillie but I think I managed in the easiest way, simply by finding the parts in two other instruments and then use Clefs and Transposition Overrides on the new layout for the Bb-instruments.

Is there a way to have a bass clarinet preset that shows treble clef in transposed view and bass clef in concert view. It drives me nuts to do the override every time again when adding a bass clarinet.

There’s already a version of the Bass Clarinet that’s treble clef in parts, and bass clef in the score.

If that doesn’t suit your regular setup, could you clarify what your preferred setup of scores/parts/transpositions is?

If you have a regular ensemble of players, you can save that as a project template.

Yes but when I want to view the score transposed it has the wrong clef. It should depend on the view (concert or transposed) not on the layout

Is there maybe a hack to get another bass clarinet instrument behaving right? I can’t use templates because I’m importing loads of xml files coming from finale.

Once you input an explicit clef (i.e. not default) you can customize the concert and transposed appearance.