Clef at instrument change

Please see attached. I don’t see the reason for the clef at the end of bar 41. It selects together with the instrument change, and it has no editable properties. If I select and change the scale, only the text scales, not the clef. Is this intended? And if so, why? Can I get rid of it?

Was this an XML import?
Can you select the extra clef and delete it?

What’'s the original instrument? For some reason Dorico thinks it needs to show a clef change at the instrument transition. It would be helpful to see the project – perhaps you could export just this flow and layout and attach it here so I can take a look?

@Derrek - No, it’s a native Dorico project. I can’t select the clef without selecting the instrument change (the text) and the key change relevant to the instrument change. I can’t delete it.
@Daniel - I have sent you a mail with a part of the project that still contains the unwanted clef. For some reason, it was too big to attach here. As you will see, the original instrument is a clarinet in Eb.
I would be interested un knowing why the file is so big (2.9 MB) when it only contains 2 pages of music. It had a front page with a picture on it, but I deleted that master page. It should be completely gone, shouldn’t it? However, I don’t have any other explanation.

Usually the largest memory hogs are the instruments (HALion) attached to the project. There are ways to strip the sounds from the example you send that make the projects much smaller.

Ok. Interesting. I wasn’t aware that the project files contained any sounds, and a file with i.e. a lead sheet or a lied is typically no more than a few hundred kB. What ways of stripping the sounds are you referring to?

Set your playback template to Silence.

3 MB does sound too big, even with samples.

Unfortunately after looking at the project I’m none the wiser. I’ll need to consult the team about this and come back to you.

For me, such a clef appeared if the first clef was changed before. For example, I wanted Tenor saxophones to show a bass clef if I view the score in concert pitch, so I created a manual treble clef at the very beginning and by context-clicking on it you can change the clef that is shown in various transpositions. Now, in transposed pitch it would show the treble clef as usual and once there was an instrument change it would suddenly show the cautionary clef despite officially the clef wouldn’t change. But apparently Dorico thinks there is a clef change because I created a custom clef earlier.

For me, it showed up without any prior clef changes.

Can you reproduce this issue with a new, stripped down project? Let’s say, just one player (the one with the instrument change) and simple note entries.

No, not trivially. The doesn’t always occur, and I have other places in my project with the same instrument change without the clef. It seems that so far, no one knows what triggers it, but I’m sure the team will squash it eventually.

So the reason, it turns out, is that one or more of those clarinets once had an extra staff, and there’s a bit logic that says that when the number of staves of an instrument varies, it should always show the clef, which makes sense when going from e.g. flute to piano. The way to solve it would be to add a new player with three new clarinets, copy the music across from the old clarinets to the new ones, then remove the old player.

Thank you, Daniel, for looking into it. I need an extra staff for the clarinet elsewhere in the project, so I’ll live with the redundant clef. But nice to know for another time. However - now you know the reason for the appearance, I hope you’ll consider changing the algorithm, since it will IMO always be unnecessary to show a clef that doesn’t change anything - in particular when you can’t remove it.

1 Like