Clef change at repeat sign

I know, I know, I know Gould says you have to do it this way, but Henle and many, many publishers do not:

This looks bad. Is there any way now to have the clef after the conjoined repeat bar? Any hack or workaround?

I also know that there are topics about this here, but could it be that in the later releases there is some way to escape from this? It really spoils my edition, and people comment on how wrong it looks. if I had to say there is one thing about Dorico I dislike, it is this. At least give us an option to go against the default rule. Pretty please?

4 Likes

This came up just a day or so ago in Claude’s list of his “most wanted”. We know that it’s not to everybody’s taste, and I imagine we may well introduce some options for this in future versions of the software.

6 Likes

It’s not impossible to do now, it’s just a bit of a pain.

You can use an invisible treble clef there, and simply create a cue-sized treble clef to add as a Playing Technique. Create the space for it with the Note Spacing Tool. The bigger problem is the next system, where you’ll either need to add the clef as a Playing Technique, start a new Flow (to hide the cautionary), or use a Coda with the gap set to 0. I used a Coda below, but you’ll need to suppress the cautionary somehow, or just continue with the invisible clef and PT.

1 Like

@FredGUnn very clever indeed, but that’s a hack too far for me.

2 Likes

It really only takes about a minute to do. Another issue of course is that it only works for an invisible treble clef. I have a doricolib file where I added invisible bass and alto clefs too for workarounds. Just PM me if you go this route and decide you want it.

Since one cannot hide the initial treble clef, how does one make it invisible?
Is creating one a file hack or can it be done within the Dorico clef tool by repurposing another clef position?

Probably this is an analogous issue
Gclef

Perhaps not so evident…

1 Like

In my example above, the small cue-sized treble clef is actually a Playing Technique. I used an invisible treble clef to actually change the clef, as you can see by the signpost. I used a regular treble clef in the 2nd system. Of course Dorico will provide a cautionary treble at the end of the first system as there is a clef change from invisible to treble, so I used a Coda to suppress it.

Doricolib files can be incredibly powerful, and it seems like most users haven’t really begin to tap into all that’s possible with them yet. Every time I dig into them I seem to discover new possibilities. There’s no documentation of course, so I’ve spent a lot of time fiddling around with them. Here’s the doricolib file I mentioned above that adds invisible bass and alto clefs. In Windows, add it to Users\yournamehereAppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico 4\DefaultLibraryAdditions. I’m not sure where DefaultLibraryAdditions lives on a Mac, but I assume adding it there would work too. Anyway, after adding and restarting Dorico, you should have 3 different invisible clef options.
InvisibleClefs.zip (989 Bytes)

1 Like

Do these library files survive program updates?

Yep! There’s no modification of factory files at all. DefaultLibraryAdditions is in the user folder, so unaffected by updates. Using doricolib files also seems much “safer” than modifying any factory files, so I’ve totally switched to the doricolib method for things like custom instruments, custom chord symbol accidental placement, page templates, etc.

2 Likes

No, it’s a completely different issue. There the issue is that we need to have the ability to show both the default clef and an explicit clef at the first position in the score. Also worth doing at some point, for reproducing this traditional practice.

3 Likes

Thank you Daniel, very clear!