Clef change at the very beginning?

How can I insert a clef change in measure 1, bar 1?

I want a change (e.g. after the key and time signature), not to change the initial clef at the far left of the system.

Basically the case is where an instrument starts in a non-tradional clef (Think the Rite’s opening tenor clef Bassoon, or a piano work with both staves in bass clef) where you want to make the non-standard clef extra super obvious.

Custom text object, and remove collision avoidance?

You could also add a 16th note to that first measure (Shift-B, 1/16), start with a 16th rest, change the clef, and hide the rest. Might need to do some manual adjustment of spacing.

Hi fellow doricians! Has this matter been solved in recent versions of Dorico? I made a transcription of song with this kind of problem. I’ve searched everywhere and didn’t find a solution. If someone knows, please explain to me.

Example 1
(this is the way that I would like to write)

And this is the way that Dorico let me do it:

Example 2

I really prefer to have the G clef before the F clef .

Not possible natively. It’s also not a recommended practice anymore which is likely why the developers haven’t spent time trying to implement it.

I read that in Gould, and I don’t quite agree that it’s obsolete. It is helpful, because the eye tends to ignore initial clefs. Her Viola illustration omits any key and time signatures, so it looks silly and useless. João’s example is realistic – note the distance between the clefs.

Thanks Mark. I’ve read that in Gould, but I think it is not obsolete too.
That initial G clef tells me that this instrument principal clef is G and not a F clef - that is a psychological / mental thing that helps in my opinion.

Try this:

Input the notes into the RH staff - at the correct sounding pitch, but in treble clef (ie the first F will be 3 ledger lines below the staff). Select that low F and press shift-C (for clef) and press F (for bass clef), then Enter. This will place a bass clef between the rest and the low F. Go into Engrave mode, Note Spacing sub-section. Click the blue square above the rest and press Tab - this will select the blue circle beneath the square. Use opt/alt-right arrow to move the rest to the right (to approximately where the bass clef is). Do the same for the note in the LH staff. While still in Engrave mode, go to the Graphic Editing sub-section. Click on the bass clef. Open the Properties panel. Under Common (should be the leftmost category), click on Offset and change the X value.

Thank you Steven! I will try that.

(but is a time consuming procedure - I think a option to put a new clef after the meter would be more practical).

Agreed, but this only took me just over a minute and it achieves the look you want, even if it is not a “native” solution.

You are right Steven! Thanks again.

Glad I could help, João.

A Whole New World??

1 Like

Yes, Muzza.