Clefs in cue notes

Hello,

This is about the «other type» of cue notes, often required in music for marching bands: Notes really not meant as a cue for the players, but rather to make, for instance, my alto saxophone player able to replace that trombone player suddenly lying ill at home. The problem is that the trombone notes are in the F clef, and my saxophonist doesn’t understand anything!
Other examples could have been found. Bassoons are often replaced by saxophones, for example, or tuba by sousaphone.

So: Can I tell Dorico to NOT maintain the original instrument’s clef in the cue notes, but rather have a clef friendly to the actual player?

Rune.

Yes, you can choose on the Cues page of Engraving Options that Dorico should either use the clef of the source instrument or the clef of the destination instrument by default, and then you can adjust the clef used by an individual cue via the Properties panel: select the cue text label or handle to see its properties.

Jippi!

– and thank you.

I had a lead line written as treble clef down an octave (with that little 8 thing). As a result, all my cues in treble instruments that referenced the lead line were showing the clef change. Makes sense.

But when I changed my lead line to use the normal treble clef, it didn’t update the cues - they still show the clef change, even though it’s the same clef.

I notice that new cues work as expected - no clef change shown if the clef is the same. But is there a way to retrofit the existing cues so they avoid showing the redundant clef?

EDIT: I solved this, but I’ll leave it up in case it’s helpful to anyone else. In Engraving Options – Cues, I changed the clef property to “Destination instrument” and then changed it back. It worked!

Still seems like the desired behavior would be to automatically update the clef change. But not a big deal.

Funnily enough we recently discovered this bug with clef changes in source material not updating cues properly, and have fixed it ahead of the next release.