Clipping Distortion on Playback - WL 11.1

Hello everyone,

Suddenly, my Wavelab Pro 11.1 started to sound distorted when playing back the higher energy parts of a track.
After a few tests, I realized It’s somehow clipping the playback while monitoring.
The clipping generates the distortion, but it doesn’t show up in the meters nor in the rendered files.
It seems that there’s a louder or doubled signal while monitoring the playback, but I have no clue how this is happening.
It’s not happening if I use other DAWs or apps (I tested it with Pro Tools and Quicktime without problems).

I’m having trouble figuring out if I messed something up or not and how to fix it.

The one thing that came to my mind is I recently updated the MacOs Big Sur to its last version, but I’m not sure the symptom started on the same date.

I made this video comparing the sound of the playback with the rendered file played by Pro Tools and showing the actual clipping in the Wavelab output when sending its signal through Loopback app.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Wavelab Pro 11.1
macOS Big Sur 11.6.7

Did your speaker configuration knob in the master section somehow get set to higher than 0.0?

1 Like

I think it did because it had a red icon in your video. I never noticed before because I always keep this area hidden and set to 0.0 but if you set it higher than 0.0, it seems that the speaker icon turns red to help show you this.

Great!
I think that is it. THANKS Justin!
:grimacing:[feeling stupid]
I never used this section but also got curious about the red icon. I’ve tried to click some knobs, but I don’t have great vision, and I cannot see the knob marker at the WL screen ( I only see there’s a knob but not where it’s pointing, haha), so I never thought it could be there once I didn’t know I could do that!
That was fast.
I love this forum! :upside_down_face:

No problem. I agree that it’s a small area and also very dangerous because it’s easy to accidentally change the Speaker Configuration level with an accidental mouse scroll if your mouse is near the knob.

It would be nice if it had a lock button like other things in WaveLab.

What I do is triple check that it’s set to 0.0 and then hide that section so it looks like this:

1 Like

I’ll make sure to leave it like this.

Thanks again!

1 Like