Clocking problems

Doing some cassette transfers. My chain is Tascam 122 MKII cassette deck into a Benchmark ADC-1 A to D converter then into a Z-Systems 8 by 8 digital router and into my RME audio card on my Windows 7 Pro computer. I am using WL 9.35.5 for my DAW. I am clocking off the Benchmark ADC-1. Everything has been going smoothly until yesterday when a problem occurred. The client wants all the material at 96KHz 24 bits. Yesterday the clock on Wavelab started counting very slowly and even though the RME card app said we were at 96 kHz we recorded the material at half the speed so when played back it was twice as fast, Turned off the computer and turned it back on. No change. Checked all my settings. Turned off the Benchmark, no change. Turned off the Z-System router and no change. Waited about a minute and everything was back to normal. I am stumped. Any thoughts or suggestions? Some help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thomas, I had some mixed experiences running Wavelab with my RME soundcard slaved to an external clock. Since I changed to the RME soundcard internal clock and other boxes slaved to the RME, no timing/sampling rate problems with Wavelab. Any sampling rate change while working with Wavelab is recognized by RME and adjusted. Maybe you can slave the Benchmark ADC to the RME card and use RME internal clock. Hope this works.

I agree with Robert that clocking off the RME is likely to address this issue.

Thanks for the help so far. I did not have the “daughter card” for the word clock so I had to order it from Sweetwater. It should be here tomorrow. We did some more test and everything seems “normal”. Not sure what is going on. Again thanks for the help and suggestions.

Final update. We installed the word clock daughter board in the computer and are now clocking the Benchmark off the RME. Seems to be stable and works well. Thanks for all the help.

Glad to hear that.