Cloner - delay compensation not ok

Cubase 10.0.10

The delay compensation for the new cloner seems to work incorrectly when the effect is bypassed. With effect engaged it is ok. When bypassed, the delay compensation is not turned of (so it seems).

Can others confirm this?

Bypassing Plugins never turns off delay compensation.
Switching off Plugins does.

Same project in CB 9.5 reacts differently. Bypassing effect has no impact on timing.

In CB 10.0.10 the vocal timing is way of when bypassing the cloner (insert). I have tested it with an other plugin with substantial delay (Izotope Ozone) in CB10.0.10 and this works correctly. I think something is wrong with the new Cloner coding.

Weird, when I make the delay compensation visible in the mixer, it proves Svennilenni is right for CB 1.0.10

Fact is that CB9.5. worked differently. The delay compensation was also switched of when bypassing the effect. With the cloner plugin with its long delay it is clearly noticeable that bypassing the effect has no impact on timing. In CB 10.0.10 it does.

This means that if this a general change, from CB10.0.10 onwards you have to be careful when automating effect bypasses as it will screw up the timing! You have to switch the plugin off!

I have done some tests with other plugins with a long delay but I can not seem to create the problem so it could be related to the (new) cloner.

Steinberg, can you please confirm:

1. is there a difference between CB9.5 and CB 10 with regard to delay compensation and bypassing effect plugins in general?
  2. When bypassing effect (button yellow) the delay is listed in the mixer, but is it applied?
  3. or is something wrong with the cloner

If there is a general difference between CB 90.5 and CB10, my personal preference would be to keep it as in CB9.5 as in the new situation a risk to screw up timing and phase coherence on multitrack recordings is introduced.

How do you make delay compensation “visible in the mixer”

That is definitely not the case. PDC was not switched off in C9 either when only bypassing the FX

How do you make delay compensation “visible in the mixer”

Go to mixer, Set Up window layout, mark channel latency

That is definitely not the case. PDC was not switched off in C9 either when only bypassing the FX

Have you tested it?
Anyway I can only speak for how it works on my system: in CB9.5 the vocal stays in time no matter whether the cloner is in bypass or on or off.
In CB10 bypassing the cloner results in the vocal timing to be messed up. When cloner is on timing is ok or when effect is switched off the timing is ok.

As far as I am concerned, no plugin’s state, off, bypass or on, should mess up the timing of a track.

I made a dupe of this thread (sorry about that) but I’ve found the exact same thing across multiple projects and channel types.

Using Cloner everything is ok, but the moment it’s bypassed the audio plays back way out of sync.

This doesn’t happen with any other plugin that I’m aware of.

This means using automation to bypass the effect in certain sections of the song (exactly what I’m trying to do) is completely unusable.

I’m using OS X 10.12.6 with Cubase 10.0.15.

This happened for me when Processing Precision was set to 64 bit. When I changed it to 32 bit, my audio track was fine again and cloner could be bypassed using automation.