Collisions between items in Tempo panel

@dspreadbury

I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong forum space.
I’m still very much a newby.
I searched “Tempo Panel”. I am attaching the .PNG of a recurring “spacing situation” that manifests periodically regardless of how I size the window.
If I use the slider to narrow the ABSOLUTE tempo range ( for example to Allegro and Faster) it corrects itself.

But GRADUAL and RELATIVE remain impaired.
Mac with OS/X 13.6.6

Thank You.

That doesn’t look normal. Have you adjusted the Immediate Tempo Font?

1 Like

That is the native font. I have made no adjustments.
Is the font in this panel adjustable?

It does reflect the font that you use, yes. It should be in Library> Font Styles > Gradual Tempo Font.

What display is it? (e.g. Mac laptop screen, or an external?)

Also, are you on the latest version of Dorico?

1 Like

Hi - @benwiggy
Thank you for replying.
I might not be explaining myself well.
I am using the latest version of Dorico, 5.1.40.2138 (May 26 2024).
Display is a 21.5" iMac.

Changing The Library / Font Styles / Gradual Tempo Text Font does not alter the text label in the panel ( see my original .PNG).

Can you provide an example file that shows this problem? (Just a simple one with not much music.)

1 Like

(I moved your post to a new thread, Gary, because it’s not really related to the issue reported by Clement in the thread you tagged your post onto.)

We have had one or two reports of this problem, but to date we’ve been unable to reproduce this ourselves. Does the problem resolve if you e.g. resize the project window?

1 Like

@dspreadbury
@benwiggy

Hi, Daniel. Thank you for doing so.
The problem does not resolve if I resize the project window.
But here’s what is very interesting:
On occasion, I will perform a " Save As " and increment the project name (e.g. Save As "[Title] “increment number”), especially if I am going to do a re-write in the middle of a sketch.
When I performed this, the Collision of Tempo Names in the Panels disappeared and everything was normal.
NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE COMPOSITION.
My background in coding suggests to me that this anomaly is not an issue with code per se, (particularly because it is difficult to reproduce),but may be a meta-artifact of something in the original sketch that I caused with my attempt to introduce tempo changes in the middle section, and make them invisible on the score. It is conceivable that if so, this artifact -or malignant attribute- may be ignored during the “Save As” process.

I attach the sketch for your, and Mr. Ben’s analysis.
I SUSPECT MAKING UNSKILLED TEMPO CHANGES IN THE MIDDLE OF A PIECE IS THE CULPRIT.

Forgive any other sloppiness. I am still learning the interface.
As well as compose in this genre.

Divertimento in Eb for Strings 5.dorico (1.2 MB)
I kindly solicit any suggestions to improve.

The Playback engine is invoking Noteperformer 5.

Thanks and Regards,
Gary

I cannot see the collisions that you experience… This is what I get opening your file.

Actually, you can see that it does!

(OT. Is there a special reason why you do not use the Text properties of Tempi to enter (eg) Largo, instead entering that text as a separate item?)

1 Like

Kindly see my reply to @dspreadbury above which precedes your replete me by an hour:
" But here’s what is very interesting:
On occasion, I will perform a " Save As " and increment the project name (e.g. Save As "[Title] “increment number” ), especially if I am going to do a re-write in the middle of a sketch.
When I performed this, the Collision of Tempo Names in the Panels disappeared and everything was normal.

I cannot send the faulty file, because the problem disappeared after performing a “Save As”. The only remaining evidence of the Text Collision is in the .PNG. The .dorico file was sent should it be of interest in seeing what had been inputted on the staves, considering that the problem is not reproducible in the lab.

I will see if changing The Library / Font Styles / Gradual Tempo Text Font now alters the text label in the panel. I have not tried that yet, as the original issue appears to have resolved.

Re: " (OT. Is there a special reason why you do not use the Text properties of Tempi to enter (eg) Largo , instead entering that text as a separate item?)"

No special reason. I am just learning to navigate the software.

Thank you.