Color spread on selected tracks

Please make it possible to use the project logical editor to color a set of selected tracks in a rainbow of colors, or maybe a spread of different colors within a range. For example, make a set of selected drum tracks different hues of blue.

I’ve never tried this specific task, but I’m pretty sure this should be possible using the Project Logical Editor. The key in the PLE is to use the Color’s Name. Here’s a post I wrote on using the PLE & Color. Also I think one of the stock PLE Presets can Color Tracks in the order you have them in you pallet.

@raino Thank you for your reply. I have read your suggestion, but unfortunately I don’t see how that helps accomplish this task. I have also gone through all of the stock PLE presets and the only one that comes close is one that increments the color of selected tracks, which is really not the same thing.

I am still on Cubase 12 but could not find a PLE that fits the description.
From what I can tell, you can’t color two tracks in individual colors using one PLE. All tracks matching the Target Filters get the same color using either
Set Color | Increment
or
Set Color | Decrement

Hopefully I’m wrong and just missed something.

It was just something I thought was there, but on looking closer I see it’s for Parts & Events and not Tracks. It’s not something I’d be likely to use myself since I mostly use Colors to mean specific things. Here’s that example.

In another thread I’ve been playing with having the new MS AI, Copilot (which just appeared with a Windows update) write some LE Presets, which it did a good job of.

So I asked it for a PLE, and this was its response

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Cubase+Project+Logical+Editor+Preset+random+color+tracks&view=detail&mid=D0D49DC00A7F488CD62CD0D49DC00A7F488CD62C&FORM=VIRE

// PLE Preset to Set Random Color for Selected Tracks
// Note: Create multiple presets like this with different colors and apply them manually or with a macro.

Filter Target
( Container Type is | Equal | Track )

Action Target
( Set Color | Set to fixed value | Color 1 )

Function
Transform

I hope you see that it actually cheated your own code in another thread :joy:

Yes indeed. I think that deserves some kind of recursive merit badge from the forum.

I was just looking at the PLE actions to Increment or Decrement the Color and all it does is take the existing Color of an object and change it to the next or previous Color in your list of Colors.

This could be useful in the context of the bot’s suggestion to use Macros to mimic randomizing. For example what if you Incremented the Color 6 times for every Track that contains an “N” in it’s name. And another where any Track with an “E” in its name gets its Color Incremented 11 times. If you had a handful of these that got executed a bunch of times in various combos the Colors would tend to appear random.

Sure thing! Another one would be to temporarily renumber the selected tracks, and then perform coloring the way wanted.

This one will renumber the selected tracks:

And this one will set the fixed color we choose, to track [1 ], after restoring its original name:

We can continue with arbitrary track numbers in this second PLE to achieve what we want.

And then there is the Preference to set a Track to a Random Color at the time of creation.